Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 12:02 AM

Default To play this hand?

just in the money in Paradise 35K. Blinds are 3K/6K. I have 45K. 18th in chips out of remaining 56.

UTG makes a minimum raise to 12K. he has a smaller stack than me with about 34K. Folded to me, I have QdTd on the button.

Whats my play?

-Scott
Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Re: To play this hand?

Fold - no question about it.

Your hand is a great hand for ring play in big pots, but not heads up. Also, given he has made the running you need a stronger hand than this to come over the top. Something like A K at worst.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold - no question about it.

Your hand is a great hand for ring play in big pots, but not heads up. Also, given he has made the running you need a stronger hand than this to come over the top. Something like A K at worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he made a total lameo raise, just doubling the blinds. Thats not a real raise. a real raise is 3-4 times the blinds. That usually indicated real weakness, or Aces.

-Scott
Old 10-26-2004, 12:49 AM

but your hand does not stack up well heads up. Your opponent just needs a king to be favourite. Given the small raise I would be doubly suspicious.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:28 AM

Given how deep the blinds are especially relative to the stack sizes. (Average stack has less than 10XBB) A 2XBB raise may very indicate a real hand and not just big pairs Often at this stage of the tournament, mini-raises become much more common due the sizes of the blinds. A 3XBB raise from almost anyone other than the chip leader would very well pot-commit the player. I'd be very worried in this situation if any player committed nearly half their stack pre-flop as it would indicate they have a hand they would not mind pushing on the flop, but would like some action on preflop.

If this was in the first few levels maybe you can peg him as the type of player who would mini-raise junk. However in this situation, I think the best thing to do is to fold. Without a great deal of information on the raiser, QTs simply does not beat very many hands he might be representing. Pushing would likely garner a call here, as he has already comitted a thrid of his stack.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:43 AM

Q 10 is a classic trap hand. Very easy to make a second best with it. Even suited, you are really looking for the nut str8 - flopped (after all, who wants to draw to a J if an AK flops). Heads up, you are likely starting behind, as he can easily have Ax to open. Paired, you can be out kicked, or over pair can fall. So unless, you have a great read on him and think a reraise will buy the pot, choose a better spot.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:09 PM

Pretty easy fold here.

Nick
Old 10-26-2004, 02:04 PM

I fold because I don't think you get him to lay down even if he's got something weak like KQ or AT.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:19 PM

Fold. You are in decent position, why risk 1/4 of your stack on Q-T