Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 08:14 PM

Default Need advice on AKo

So far AKo is a losing hand for me, I have trouble knowing exactly what to do with it after the flop. On this one with the 3 betting behind me and all of the cold calls of 3 bets, I was thinking that I had to be up against at least TT-AA or another AK and some very solid hands in addition. I was looking for an excuse to throw it away, but I was getting 21 to 1 to call on the flop and 13 to 1 to call on the turn. A lot of outs were probably burned because of all of the preflop action and some of my "outs" might actually not even give me the best hand, so I really didn't know how to play it. Advice on all streets is appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
Old 10-10-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Need advice on AKo

With 6 players I'm capping AKo for value preflop. I'm also betting out on the flop hoping that UTG+1 raises and that folks that totally missed might fold to 2-cold (a fantasy, probably, I know). A 2 on the turn is the third best card for you, so I'm betting out again, again looking for raise to clean up my outs.

If UTG+1 never slows down I play the river the same. If he does I bet out again (hey, you never know).
Old 10-10-2004, 11:35 PM

Unless we know for certain that UTG+2 is the rockiest of rocks, I think Lou's advice is very good for this hand. You've got a big pot, try to win it!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:06 AM

How was a 2 one of the best cards that could have come for me? If I'm behind to a pocket pair my odds of outdrawing decrease with any non ace/king, what am I missing?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So far AKo is a losing hand for me

[/ QUOTE ]

over the long run, this is very hard to accomplish, no matter how bad you may think you are.

cap preflop.

nothing wrong with check/calling the flop and on because betting ain't gonna do squat in early position into a million callers in a huge pot.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:13 AM

Cap PF, bet/call flop, check/fold turn.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking for an excuse to throw it away, but I was getting 21 to 1 to call on the flop and 13 to 1 to call on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, this is your problem. Seriously, this is an awful way to approach the game. If you read WLLH, you will read that, in poker, you are looking for an excuse to fold. This is WRONG! I am not saying I know more than Lee Jones - I'm sure he's a smart guy - but he's teaching a style of poker for beginners that will allow his readers to break even while they learn the game. You should SALIVATE every time you see AK. If it's capped to you, you should be happy (unless a rock is doing the capping...then tread lightly). If you're trying to improve your game, you should start by changing your attitude. Ultimately, the attitude that you bring to the post is going to result in your being a scared, tight, losing player.

Ajax