Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 10:56 PM

Default Waiting for the turn to raise.....

Very loose live 6/12 game. Hero is in mid postion with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Two limpers to me, I raise. BB stays, as do the two limpers.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB bets out, one fold, one call, and the action is to me. I figure this is a good example of Ed's waiting for the turn to raise, as the pot is big, and anyone on a flush draw is not going to leave if I raise. Since I have two J's, it is less likely that one of my opponents have one, and more likely they have a flush draw, though there is a possible straight draw out. So, I call, with the intention of raising any non-spade on the turn.

Turn is not a good card, it is the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB bets out. The guy in the middle now raises. Hero calls two bets cold, figuring the guy has a made straight, and is hoping to pair the board. BB calls the raise.

River is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks, guy in the middle checks, hero checks.

BB shows: ?

Guy in the middle shows: ?

Hero.....? Should he have called the two cold on the turn, or continued with his plan to raise any non spade?

Results in a while.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Waiting for the turn to raise.....

the problem with this is that If the bettor is betting the flush draw, and a non spade comes on the turn, he checks and you dont get to raise. Since its likely he doesnt even have top pair, he may not bet the turn again if he just has a 9 or something. Raise now.

This river is an easy bet when its checked to you. If MP had made a str8 on the turn hes still got a str8 on the river, so why is he checking?

I would have 3 bet the turn FWIW
Old 10-24-2004, 11:17 PM

Good point about the ability to raise the turn if a non spade hits. That alone make the flop a must raise. The real problem is the turn. I froze to the raise, and now that I have had time to think about it, I feel it was vital to three bet the turn. I did not bet the river, as I thought it likely that the river duplicated one of his cards, and he was worried about getting raised by a higher straight. But I think you are right, it should have bet.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:29 PM

No. You have enough pot equity with a set (it's the pure nuts here) to pump this flop both for value and protection.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:46 PM

Default Results

BB has Q J for a rivered straight.

Guy in the middle has T-9 for turned two pair.

I should have raised the flop, and three-bet any resistance up to the river, where I would have to slow down. Thanks for the help, I need to stop being wimpy, and all your comments help.