Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 08:41 PM

Default AA in Big Blind crummy flop

Wanted to run this past everyone to see what they think about this play. It's a freeroll tournament and it's fairly late in the tourney. The blinds are T2000 and T4000 Just got switched to the table and didn't have a real good read on them yet.

8 Handed

Button T16,093
SB T32,016
Hero T91,704
UG T71,128
UG+1 T52,334
MP T85,047
LP T337,632
CO T50,507

SB posts T2,000
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])posts T4,000
UG Folds
UG+1 Folds
LP calls T4,000
CO Folds
Button Folds
SB completes T2,000

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Small Blind checks
Hero checks
LP bets T8,000
Small blind raises T8,000 to T28016
Hero?

Would like your thoughts on this and then will post the results. I am trying to improve my game and have had the most success since finding and reading this board so any criticism or thoughts are welcome.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Walt
Old 10-24-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: AA in Big Blind crummy flop

It is pretty standard to raise to limpers with AA. This situation is one reason why. AA isn't generally the nuts after the flop, so you want to get as much money in and either win the pot or get heads up preflop. Postflop, you should probably fold to a bet and raise here.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:06 PM

Well since you didn't raise your aces..it's pretty hard to tell what this guy has.

And given it's a freeroll...there is not telling what he has... =)
Old 10-25-2004, 12:05 AM

There is 12k in the pot when it gets back to you. Especially sitting second, I don't want to be guessing (as happened to you) on the flop. I plan my raise to be enough to get whoever is the smallest stack an all-in, providing I can still get away from the hand on the flop. With this in mind, I raise 28k.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2004, 03:09 AM

After reading the post I was going to say that you should probably just fold simply because the SB could very well have a Jack. However, the case may be that SB (by check raising allin) is simply taking advantage of the big stack, as I would expect the him to be fairly agressive. I think the big stack could probably have anything here and just bet out after sensing weakness from the SB and BB. The problem here is that you have no reads on either player and this would REALLY have helped. I could see a short stack making a play like this with a decent heart draw or even a straight draw. You have to make your decision, if the SB has the J or if he doesn't...

You sort of screwed yourself by not raising PF, and this is the result... I can see that maybe heads up you can just check... but with two limpers to my BB I always raise with aces pf.

Once again this is hugely read dependent in terms of how aggressive each player is... the check raise all-in just seems like such a draw semi-bluff.. I feel that if I was the small stack and I had a Jack, I might just call the big stack's bet because I wanted to extract as many chips out of him as possible..

You are all-in or you're folding now... but better yet, raise PF and avoid this horrendous situation.

Cheers

Pat
Old 10-25-2004, 08:07 PM

Thank you everyone for the information that you gave me. I agree with all of you that I should have raised pre-flop. That being said here is what happened.

SB and Big stack go head to head and it turns out that SB had 9,crap which gave him 2 pair on the flop and he won. So a 3XBB pre-flop would have probably got the SB to fold and then I would have went against about anything the Big stack did as he (she) was prone to stealing. Thanks for the great thoughts.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Walt