Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 11:28 AM

Default Maniacs capping, starting hand requirements

This is not hypothetical! I was playing live 3-6. 3 maniac are sitting next to each other, and will cap (5 bets) with just about anything (saw one with K5o, another with 98o, another with 83s...), all it takes is a bit of encouragement, like a raise from a non-maniac like myself, or two of them looking at each other and agreeing to cap!

So, my question is, when you find yourself in this game, how does it change your starting hand requirments? When do you "encourage" the capping? How does position change that?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Maniacs capping, starting hand requirements

play normal and rake in big pots. maybe use more post-flop discretion as the pot-odds will most certainly be there if all these pots are being 5-bet preflop. somebody else mentioned this in another post and im sorry because i dont remember the posters name, but take note as to what street these maniacs start to slow down and drop out, if they ever do and take advantage of that information.

hope your hands held,
fuji
Old 10-24-2004, 12:06 PM

Default EXAMPLE CHASE? FROM THAT NIGHT!

I cashed 2 25BB+ hands in an 20 min stretch (JJ flopped set and AK, flop AKK) but really stuggled letting go hands like KJo and 910s pre-flop, hands I would normally easily let go if 3 or even 2 bet to me. So here is an example of one I chased

Hero is MP3 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Maniacs are BB+1, BB+2, BB+3, 9 handed.

Maniac 1 2 bets, Maniac 2 folds, maniac 3 3bets, MP1 calls, MP2 calls Hero???

At this point I am pretty sure maniac will cap, Button(TP) SB and BB will fold and 2 MPs will come along... I call, Maniac 1,3 cap MP1,MP2 complete and Hero says to himself, wtf and splashes in 2 bets!

TERRIBLE DECISIONS OR GOOD GAMBLE???

5 players 24SBs.

Flop a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Maniac1 bets, Maniac 2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero raises, all complete.

I figure that 5s are clean and flush cards good 2/3 of time for 8-10 outs on 2 streets, and not any strong redraws.

4 players, 16 BBs

Turn blank Maniac1 bets, all call

River blank Maniac bets, MP1, MP2 call, Hero mucks.

Comments on all streets appreciated!
Old 10-24-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Re: EXAMPLE CHASE? FROM THAT NIGHT!

well hopefully your flush draw was the only one out there and with maniacs capping preflop and all the money entering the pot on the flop and turn, i'd say it was good calling on the flop and turn and the river fold is obvious.

i dont know if i want to play this hand preflop for all that money, however...
Old 10-24-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Maniacs capping, starting hand requirements

[ QUOTE ]
So, my question is, when you find yourself in this game, how does it change your starting hand requirments? When do you "encourage" the capping? How does position change that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on whether you can isolate a sole maniac or not. If the table will let you get heads up against a maniac, loosen your starting requirements slightly, and raise/re-raise to get heads up for a better than average hand vs. any 2 contest. If the table plays multiway despite the action, I think it's time just to peddle nuts.