Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Managing first $50

[ QUOTE ]
The expert advice is that you should play at stakes where your bankroll is 300 times the big bet, and if you play well you should expect an hourly return of 1 or 2 big bets.

This would mean that a new player depositing just $50 online would have to start at .05/.10 and would be expected to play for 500 hours before moving up to .25/.50. I can't imagine anyone with that kind of patience.

What stakes should a fairly intelligent, disciplined, but inexperienced player start out at when they are only willing to deposit $50 once?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't imagine anyone with that kind of patience eh?

I had no experience with Poker at all when I got interested in poker. I went out and bought Poker for Dummies and WLLHE.

My first task was to memorize the hand rankings....My first few weeks I had to think about that a lot. "Let's see, a boat beats a flush....you have to have a paired board to make a boat...hmmmm"

I bought a really lousy game program that had hold'em to learn to play. When I could beat that regularly I signed up at pokerstars and played the play money tables.

When I had built the thousand dollar's of play money they give you up to twenty thousand play dollars I made a deposit. I didn't know anything about deposit bonus's or anything like that.

On 8/22/03 I deposited 60 dollars at Stars. I played .05/.10. Yes it was very frustrating that there was no level before .25.50. I think I made the jump at about 270 BB's for .25/.50

Now I'm playing 3/6 with the bankroll to play at 5/10 once I feel ready. I never went into my pocket for more money.

I would've gone up much faster I'm sure had I discovered bonus shopping earlier, but I didn't.

Patience is a good thing to have as a limit hold em player. To suggest nobody has any is....well, demonstrably wrong.

--Zetack