Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Whats that your sitting on?

OK...been playing alot lately and have been getting stiff shoulders and neck. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a super comfy chair. I play on a laptop. Anyone have similar experience/solution?
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Whats that your sitting on?

how about your sofa?

i imagine the best will be a lazyboy, but i doubt you want to shell out a grand for a chair.

something i find is its less stressfull on my body if i either change position im sitting at regularly (moving between chairs, sofa etc; or just changing posture at the chair im at), and/or get up for a quick walk (just going to the fridge for a drink and a stretch every so often will do wonders).

i imagine the best chairs will be of the office type. maybe a leather office swivel chair for 100 bucks will be the best. these are designed for long usage. take breaks, and maybe you should look at the angle, height and distance between your body and screen. if you put into practice the simple H&S measures used in office environments which use computers to a large degree you sholud be following the best advice available.

Phill
Old 10-23-2004, 12:13 PM

I was starting to get sore from sitting in front of the computer and I spend a few hundred bucks on an executive chair. best investment I ever made.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:23 PM

Save up and buy a really good chair. The difference between a $200 and a $1200 'executive chair' is huge. There are shops that specialize in this and where you can find one that fits your body perfectly.

Something I've still not done but am going to do is to buy a computer desk that you can raise and lower. When I worked as a programmer all our desks stood on telescopic legs so you could raise the table several feet. Standing up and working for a while is great, and you can do it without resorting to using a tiny laptop.

You can probably find one of these desks pretty cheap at some used office supplies store. (You can get lucky and find a great chair there as well. But don't count on it.)

Also you got to do upper body weight lifting excercises if you work at a computer all day long. A 20 minutes, three days a week regimen is enough. Living the second half of your life with pain as if someone was repeatedly stabbing you in the neck and shoulders with a large knife is not good.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:34 PM

I've never had the pleasure of sitting in one but there seems to be a general consensus that the Herman Miller Aeron chair is the ultimate piece of office furniture. I found a review of one here :

I've heard of them costing upwards of $900 but sit4less offers a "base model" starting at $629.

Before the spam police jump to action, my only connection to sit4less is that I'm a frequent NPR listener and I know their name as an underwriter of some of my favorite shows.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:58 PM

Check out something called the "angle chair"
from Plasma systems.

I saw one the other day, weird looking, but possibly quite effective. Also expensive, but so is pain.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:38 PM

Before the spam police jump to action, my only connection to sit4less is that I'm a frequent NPR listener and I know their name as an underwriter of some of my favorite shows.

damn guys, don't be so gun shy. there is no affiliate links in your post, and even if you owned the chair store it would be ok unless you were shoving it down our throats. we are mostly a bunch of FAT people playing poker, so these links are good. just don't post links for poker banner farms or affiliate codes and all will be fine. as a matter of fact, threads like this are what the Zoo is for. if it were not for these type discussions, this would be known as the "looking for a party rakeback" forum.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:48 PM

you might like one of these individually-made chairs

i use the Avena and i think i remember Granny saying she sits on the Throne most of the day

these could help too, if you are handy

Old 10-23-2004, 02:48 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a frequent NPR listener

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum.

Assignment #1:

Wean yourself from bad habits such as listening to NPR.

Good Luck.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:09 PM

Wean yourself from bad habits such as listening to NPR.

10 more days of having to listen to your bullshit.

crawford will be fun, and don't worry. i'm sure dick will come visit. all of the rest of your 'friends' are going to dump you like a stuttering moron a week from wednesday when they don't have to fake liking you anymore.