Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: taking a break

PF: Fine.
Flop: Bet-reraise, dont get fancy
Turn: Bet-call
River: Bet-call if opponent didnt raise the turn, check-call if the opponent did raise the turn

MP2 never missed an opportunity to raise. 99 is possible. I put him on 89, possibly a 8 or a 9 paired with A or K. Could also have wired AA KK or other big pair. You are behind to every possibility except big wired pairs other than AA or KK. Never fold, just close the valve a bit.

Looks like you refused to believe your flopped boat could end up second best. Iv'e been there. It sucks. That's when I go to bed.

Edit: MP2 did raise PF, and I made some minor edits. Basis is the same.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You didn't cold-call pre-flop. You limped in and called one more raise. It would've be silly for you to fold for one more bet. And ONE raise pre-flop doesn't mean AA or KK by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my bad -- you're right.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:21 PM

Hey dfscott, don't stress to much about how well your playing, i think you played the hand fine, sometimes the cards just go bad and it messes everything up. I don't know how long the bad run has been going, or how much you're tilting, but it can go bad for quite a while, whilst looking like you're playing poorly.

Hope i don't scare you here, but i had a run 200BB downswing recently, which was to be expected, but the problem was that it was over 14k hands. During this period i poured over my play, analysed pt stats, talked to other players trying to work out what was going wrong, but it was just (mainly) the cards. An unbelievable run of second best hands etc. So criticise your play by all means, and take a break to cool down, but don't assume your you're a bad player.

On a good note, after this bad run i'm having an awesome good run 550BB (and counting) over only 3500 hands, so it will turn around (soon hopefully) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2004, 05:59 PM

Losing sucks. Protracted losing at .5/1 when you think your game has improved to the point where you should be handily beating it sucks even worse. Part of the reason I've put in so much time at my entry level is to try to get a feel for what the long term means. I haven't gotten close to it by any stretch of the imagination, but playing ten (or tens) of thousands of hands at break even at best at the lowest limit offered by party & co. after several tens of solid winning forced me to re-evaluate my expectations.

I'm certainly not amongst the best players here, but I've played enough to be reasonably comfortable that I'm a long term winner at .5/1 at least. Finding ways to deal with the times when reality is at odds with your expectations is important. I ended up having to be much more forgiving of myself, and much less committed to my version of how things are.

I'm not what I've been. I'm what happens today. All I can do is to try to make the best decisions I'm capable of... and this also applies to things like whether to play at all. It sounds like you're making the right move. Please do your best not to worry about things. Just sit back down when you're ready. Everything else will follow in the fullness of time.