Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: I now hate bottom set

I agree with everyone else that you should have raised on the flop. Also, when you were calling the flop, trying to give the allusion that you were on a straight draw, I don't know how convincing it is. You raised UTG and then called a reraise. If you were on a straight draw, you did all this with 4 6 or 6 7? I don't think someone is really going to put you on those cards with how you played preflop.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think any half-decent NL player should be playing (and winning with) 22 on up based on the 5 and 10 rule. (if the preflop call is less than 5% of the relevant stacks or the pot is multiway, call; if it's more than 10% and the pot isn't at least 3 way always fold; in between use your best judgment.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this a few times and just wanted to be sure: I understand the desire for at least 3 players in the pot, but which stacks are the 'relevant' ones? If the call is $2 and everyone who called has more than $40?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:39 AM

right, you can just say 5% of "your stack," but obviously if the raiser has 50% of your stack it's his stack that's the relevant one, not yours.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
right, you can just say 5% of "your stack," but obviously if the raiser has 50% of your stack it's his stack that's the relevant one, not yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

crystal. thanks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that you should reraise on the flop...however, I doubt QQ was going to throw his hand away (even if you pushed in, he would think and then call). The turn would come and you would be dead anyways.

Conclusion...you could have played it better on the flop, but you still would have lost all your chips in the end. Its just one of those things that's unavoidable...like K-high losing to an A-high flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

He played it fine. There are no real draws to speak of, and he certainly doesnt want to push out an overpair. I would call and then raise the turn hard unless I was sure he'd call on the flop in which case Id raise big then move in on the turn. He hit his 2 outer, thats all, happens to anybody.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:34 PM

Do you think the guy with the nut-flush draw would call an all-in? (Well, OK, I think so too.)

Going all-in on the flop would be a $22 raise to win a $7 pot. I think it depends - I'm more comfortable slowplaying it to build the pot, especially with top set. (There is a straight possibility on the board, as well as the flush draw.)

I have no idea why that guy called my all-in. He must have thought I was stone-cold bluffing.

I can't argue with winning it on the flop, or at least trying my damnedest to do so. Maybe I'm too married to making my set, but I still feel that slowplaying it (while keeping aware of straight and flush draws) is a better way to make money.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:38 PM

Good point. I must go back to working on my board reading skills. I think I'm too married to the "I've made my set - how can I lose?" mentality.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Since you hate bottom set

Can you please send them all to me?