Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Should I go in with this?

I went to a bar last night to watch the baseball game and when I walk in I see a lot of green felt tables with chips on them! Turns out they were having a freeroll tourney for entry into another tourney. I signed up and this was my first live no-limit tourney.

Anyway, we started with $2000 and blinds at $25 and $50. I got up to about $6000, then lost a good bit with KT against K4 all-in (dude hit 4 on the river). I lost chips little by little and there are about 15 players left (out of 52). I'm playing 4 handed with blinds at $200 and $400 with $1200 left. I'm on the button with K4 suited and go in for my last $1200. If it was not suited I probably would not have gone in.

What do you think? Decent hand to go out on, or wait for 1 more orbit for something better?

Everyone called (crap!). One guy had an A and got another A on the flop. I had a great time.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Should I go in with this?

You should only have gone all in if you were the first one in the pot. Otherwise, you should have folded. Being suited matters very little in that situation.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:20 PM

suited looks prettier! It also depends how loose other people are playing. If you have fold equity, it's much better to go allin with. Also in a freeroll, a bb mgiht be more apt to call an allin (thinking he already has 400 in, etc), so it depends how big of a stack he is too. But at that point, you don't have a LOT of time to wait around for AA. Basically, it's can I get a better hand than K4s NEXT deal, b/c once you're bb, you're allin no matter what IMO, depending on the stack sizes of the other guys.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:30 PM

I had 1 call in front of me and figured everyone would call the all-in. But I had not seen a pocket pair all night, and any paint looked good. I thought if I didn't go in here, I would be forced to go in while the BB with no telling what I had, although there was 1 more hand before I was the BB.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:42 PM

I really need to read these better. I didn't realize that you were 4 handed. I still think I would pass on this one, but it's probably fairly close. If you thought they were all going to call, I would fold. If you thought you could get one or two to fold, then the push is better.