Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 11:22 AM

Default QJs UTG

Like the way I played this hand? Should I have tried to protect my hand or was it ok to bet out once the preflop raiser just checked?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50 (All-In), UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

River: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: QJs UTG

Looks pretty standard. When BB checks on the flop, you have to bet. Of course you would prefer him to bet so you could make it two cold to the field, but you have to take what you can get.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:06 PM

absolutely fine, best bet out when BB doesn't offer you a prime chance to protect your hand.

Nice hand,
Pete Harris
Old 10-20-2004, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have tried to protect my hand or was it ok to bet out once the preflop raiser just checked?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's being too nit-picky for me to point out that you ARE protecting your hand by betting out here. After reading SSH a lot of people have come to think that protecting your hand means making people call 2 bets cold. Of course making people cold-call is a great way to protect your hand, but not the only way. In this case, betting out is the best way to protect your hand (and it worked, as 2 players dropped out).
Old 10-20-2004, 03:12 PM

As you advance in limits try not to play this hand from up front too much. If you are going to play it, you might as well raise it up. The rest is standard.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:17 PM

Betting the flop is absolutely the right play. There's no reason to think someone behind you will bet, and even if they do, you'll just probably end up trapping people instead of forcing them to cold-call your raise. Also, your hand is way too vulnerable to risk giving out free cards. As for the rest of the hand, no one gives you any reason to stop betting.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:20 PM

The real question - if BB check-raises the flop, do you 3-bet there to make it 2 cold to the field again?

-d
Old 10-20-2004, 03:28 PM

Yes, try to knock out SB and get it heads up, and see how the hand unfolds from there. You want to win this pot because its already big. If he caps it then you will have to consider how to continue.