Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Poker Stars doesn\'t offer true Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
You understand that PokerStars doesn't actually use playing cards, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2004, 11:59 PM

The rules also talk about the mechanics of shuffling, but that doesn't apply to computer shuffling. The rules also talk about players taking seats around a table; that doesn't happen online either. There is also nothing in the "rules" about "folding when it comes to me" button; but they do that online. The rules also talk about a "dealer", but there isn't one online. The rules also talk about "cards", but, you guessed it...

If its completely random; what's the point? What if they used a different random algorithm, then all the hands would be different? What about all the money that changed hands because of that difference?

It has the same affect on the game as you sitting down and someone getting up: it doesn't matter.

- Louie
Old 10-19-2004, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, if you are bothered by the fact that ps doesnt electronically burn cards, you need to check yourself into a mental hospital.. or an elementary probability class..

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know mental hospitals could cure stupidity.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:48 PM

You won't like this then: Some sites constantly randomize the cards until it is time for a card to be dealt, then they randomize, and deal again... While everyone is betting, they continue randomizing. Then the flop, and more randomizing!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Does anyone disagree that

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to suspect this is not a joke.

You are serious, aren't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely serious.

Ask yourself - does it matter that every single online tournament, from one table events to 2000 entrant events, would have turned out differently using the rules of hold'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, every single online tournament, from one table events to 2000 entrant events would have turned out differently if they used a different randomization algorithm.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Does anyone disagree that

I agree completely.

At my home game, there's a guy who keeps "forgetting" to burn cards. After he won a $2 pot, me and the boys kicked his ass, and threw him out on the street. I told him, "dishonor the game again, punk, and I'm gonna slap up your mama!"
Old 10-19-2004, 06:21 PM

Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump" bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:57 PM

You are SO right. I will email stars right now and have them take back all the money I have won there and give it to the REAL winners. I will also track down every single person I have ever played in a home game with whom I won money from where burn cards were not used and refund them the pots I won. Also, I will do the same for all stud games I have played in the last 27 years, because many of them were both online and in home games, and of course the money I won playing stud isn't really mine because the game wasn't "real." Also, I played some other games like guts and inbetween where burn cards were not properly utilized, so I certainly can't keep that ill gotten money either.

In addition, party, empire, stars, and all other cardrooms that don't use the "real" way of dealing hold'em should back calculate all the rake they ever got and award the pots to the "correct" players.

Thanks, you have done the poker world a great service due to your stupendous wisdum and astute grasp of what is REALLY important in the world of poker.

Can't talk anymore, I have some calculating to do and checks to write.

al
Old 10-19-2004, 10:05 PM

The difference is Hold 'Em is Hold 'Em, if they just programmed in a burn card, there would be no complaining except for the bad play of a another. Just burn a card, all texas hold 'em should be the same. I mean there will always be a winer or a complainer for something, but at least theres one less thing to b****h your bad beat about.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 AM

This is very possibly the worst post ever.