Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Why does Bush refuse to pronounce \"nuclear\" correctly?

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure it has not slipped past the entire administration that Bush pronounces "nuclear" as "nucular", so why does he continue to do so?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they probably have better things to do than worry about this insignificant issue.

[ QUOTE ]
...is he so stubborn and unwilling to admit error that he insists that his pronunciation is correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't heard him address this pressing issue so I'm not sure he insists his pronunciation is correct or not. Have you?

Is an accent an "error". I grew up in New York and still have no "R's" in my alphabet. I say "wahtah" instead of "water" and "quwa-tah" instead of "quarter". Are these errors? Am I stubborn and unwilling to admit this as an error? No. I have an accent - so what?

[ QUOTE ]
So why does he intentionally continue to mispronounce this when it makes him sound stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]
People with accents don't "intentionally" have an accent. You're immature if you think they sound "stupid" my friend. There are all kinds of accents in this country.

When I was a kid, I had a serious stuttering problem. Kids would make fun of me; call me stupid, a retard, etc. I still hate those people to this day.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:24 AM

Hat to tell you but people from New York DO sound stupid.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:38 AM

It isn't a general speech problem, or even an accent we're talking about. People in all parts of the country mis-pronounce this word, it's not the result of a regional accent. But I guess I'm being too hard on the President, it IS a difficult word to pronounce correctly.