Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 06:25 AM

Default Faking bluffs?

Hi. I have started thinking if faking bluffs is common in low-stake games? By "faking a bluff" I mean someone raising an amount way too large, so it would appear heīs bluffing, when heīs not, as in the example below. So, is this common, and is it in any way profitable?

NL .25/.50 Full ring. Villian has just sat down, so no reads.
Hero (button) has ~100 dollars
Villian (BB) has ~10 dollars.

Itīs folded around to hero, who limps with K 9 o (I know itīs a questionable limp, but SB, is real loose/passive, and I have beaten him post-flop all night with crap hands)
SB Limps
Villain Checks

Flop: J J 9, three-suited.

Hero bets out for a dollar
SB Folds
Villian instantly goes all-in
Hero calls.

What I think here is that no player in their right mind would make that raise with a jack. The board is almost draw-less, and if he knew he had me beat, why would he force me out of the pot? Did I do the right thing, or is my play here awful? And how common is fake-bluffing at this level, and can it be profitable?

How the hand turned out in white:
<font color="white">Turn: Blank
River: Blank

Villain shows A K o, Hero wins the pot. </font>
Old 10-18-2004, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Faking bluffs?

Sometimes on $25NL PartyPoker, I will (as you call it) "fake a bluff".

An example of where I would do this is if I had a strong hand...nut flush or something like that. Instead of trying to get $3 more dollars out of the guy on the turn or river, I will push in. Alot of PP don't like to get bullied, and will make loose calls if they feel they are being bullied. So it works out.

I actually think it works better than betting for value (in the long run). You may not get a caller every time, but when you do, it will pay out big.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:38 PM

Interesting idea.

Suppose that you'll get a $3 call 65% of the time. If instead you push for, say, $20, you only need to be called 10% of the time to be making more profit with that move.

This might be something I'd consider working into my game. I know some very high-level NL players that will make moves like this--establishing a loose image and massively overbetting with nuts. They do get callers...

I think a strategy like this would be especially effective if you've showed down a bluff or two, or simply had a few uncalled all-ins. If you're running well and pushing, people will assume you're simply bullying them with nothing.

-Ben
Old 10-19-2004, 09:49 AM

This is very similar to just shoving AA / KK preflop after someone else raised. Say it's raised to $8, and you reraise to $25. People will rarely call that, but if you just shove after the raise to $8, people feel like you're just trying to steal the pot and like to call.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:02 AM

Thanks everyone. The general opinion seems to be that "faking bluffs" isnīt a bad play at all. Is it understood that my call here actually was wrong then? I think that you canīt credit the average .25/.50 player for thinking as far to make this advanced play, but the times Iīm wrong itīs gonna cost me, so, did I do the right thing calling, considering he just sat down?