Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Boiler room artical

I'm happy he's doing this. Now, I can crush one donk eight times instead of crushing eight different donks.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy he's doing this. Now, I can crush one donk eight times instead of crushing eight different donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not stand a change playing against 1 person with 8 seats at the table.

Also this guy is better at poker than you anyways.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 PM

just wondering, why is he selling the secret to 6 figures a month for $5000? Sounds like the everyone gets rich real estate seminar.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Online cheaters

Thats alot of computers--similar to a setup of the run of the mill Gaming/LAN center that you'd see in any metropolitan city. One major thing I noticed from the pictures...no networking (no RJ-45 cables plugged in the back of ANY of the machines).

Any shmoe can buy a slew of crappy pre-manufactured computers on credit from BestBuy and some overpriced 21inch flat pannel monitors (19inch Viewsonic/Trinitron at 1600x1200 does just fine for multi table poker and you will save a bit of money in the process).

The real key to avoiding getting caught by collusion is networking, can you spoof ALL of the outgoing packets and bottleneck it through one DSL/Cable connection or can you connect to 12 individual proxys? I think not but maybe I am wrong--I have only finished a little bit of my Networking Degree.

Online poker rooms aren't stupid, I am sure they could take greater measures to detour people from doing such things but I wouldn't worry about stuff like this too much.

Usualy people who don't have enough skill to have Positive BB/Hour are the ones foaming at the mouth to cheat and it plays true in just any "game" I have come accross on the Internet (Poker is no exception).
Old 10-19-2004, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One major thing I noticed from the pictures...no networking

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, good point. Some of them don't have anything plugged in.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 AM

Considering no site lets multiple players from the same IP sit at the same table, thats a lot to be paying for Internet connections as well.

Plus I'm sure they look for similarities. If a lot of 64.38.23.x addresses suddenly are showing up at one or more tables that should trigger something in their alarm systems.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:07 PM

It's pretty easy to bounce connections through different hosts and still have a low enough latency for online poker.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:12 PM

You are correct that the big online sites won't let the same ip sit at a table twice, but a visit to anonymizer.com or a similar site would take care of that problem.

I would certainly think that bandwidth would become an issue though running that many accounts over a single dsl or cable service.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:01 PM

I smell a fraudulent photo. How come he didn't take a picture with all the computers on, logged into seperate party accounts, all playing at the same table?

If I were to do something this crooked, I would use only 2 monitors and two keyboard/mice, with an auto-switcher (like they use in server farms). This setup doesn't look real at all, unless he has 5 staff members working with him in the same room at the same time. Since getting seperate IPs would be costly, he would probably have to use dialup connections (also costly per month, but more reasonable).

In short.... I'm not worried at all. If this were at all true, then why would he post his AOL address (unless he is a fool).

On a related question, is it possible to get more than one Netteller account attached to the same bank or credit card? That looks like a red flag to me!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 04:59 AM

A dail-up connection is only 20 bucks a month, and having a few separate phone lines is no big deal. Plenty of suburban houses have two or three lines to keep the kids out of the hair of the parents. Phone and ISP costs definitely wouldn't be a problem.