Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Pot Odds Questions

60 person B&M tournament. We are down to 7 players. 7th place gets their money back. 6th only gets 1.5 times their money. Blinds are 1500-3000 with 500 antes. I start the hand in question with 5500, but had to ante 500 and post the 3k big blind. I now have only 2k behind. It is folded to the cutoff who goes all in for 5k (he is the only other short stack at the table). Everyone else folds. There is $5k in dead money ($3,500 in antes and $1.5k SB), my 3k and his 5k in the pot. I am getting 6.5 to 1 on my call. If I fold this hand, I will be all in on the SB next hand.

I thought about calling without looking. I looked and saw 93o. I decided to call anyway. My opponent had AKo. He won, but several of the players at the table made fun of me for calling for all of my chips with 93o.

Is there anyway you fold in this scenario? Should I have just done it blind so that I couldn't second guess myself when I looked at crap?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds Questions

I'm sure you'll get better answers than mine, but I don't think you can fold there. Next hand you'll be all in with no choice and less chips to potentially build your stack. With the BB+ante being well more than half your stack I think it's an easy automatic call and hope for the best. You actually weren't even all that big an underdog in that situation. I'd say definite automatic call.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:25 PM

I NEVER look in that situation...I just throw the rest of my chips in, then flip my cards over. On those occasions when I have the best hand at the end, I make some comment like: "You try to steal MY blind and you are gonna be putting some chips at risk...I'll call!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

--Casey
Old 10-17-2004, 12:57 PM

Autocall, regardless of the cards, the other players obviously can't count.

I like Casey's idea of not even looking to send a message (should you win the hand), I got the same advice from Che when I posted a similar hand.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-18-2004, 01:46 PM

The guys who were making fun of you were either morons, or they're trying to teach you to play badly so they'll have more edge on you next time.

This call is 100% correct. And, now, say it with me, "It's not even close."

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-18-2004, 02:48 PM

yeah man, next time just put your other 2k in there without looking at your cards, those people making fun of you are the morons you see at the online MTTs all the time folding thier BB when someone puts them all-in with a 2xBB raise
Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 PM

Hi Greg,

I agree that this is definitely a must call.

One question though. Would it not of been better if he had pushed the hand before when he was UTG?

Cheers,
Brad
Old 10-18-2004, 06:31 PM

Quite possibly. However, if he had a truly horrible hand UTG and knew he was going to get called, then it certainly would be better to post the blind and play that hand instead. However, there often was some hand he could've and should've played somewhere this orbit that would've been better than waiting. However, sometimes not.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-18-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Pot Odds Question

The way I see it, you had a much better chance being all in on the next hand than you did given your 93o and your opponent's action. I am no expert, but it seems to be common sense.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:49 AM

Greg,

Thanks for the response. I was just itching to shove my stack in during the previous orbit. Early in the orbit, I had some very aggressive players raising in front of me. My all-in would have basically been a call. The best hand I folded was Q7s (UTG raised and someone else called before it got to me). When the big blind got closer to me I got 95o, 83o, and 32o (utg hand).

If this were a tournament without antes and I would have had enough money to pass the SB and thus get a free orbit, would you still recommend calling given the pot odds?