Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Stealing a straddle

Just thought i would brag that i got a guy to fold to my 3-bet after he live straddled. Anyone else ever had this happen? And no i did not have an insanely tight table image or anything... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Stealing a straddle

That's happened to me a couple of times. Not often though. I rarely see that happen. I was under the gun and raise, and he folded. : )
Old 10-15-2004, 07:24 PM

IT can happen. If the straddler has a hand like 93o or the such, he really can not call. They only problem is that pulling this play is too risky because someone might wake up with a hand behind you. I dont think it is worth trying for this play, in the long term.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:01 PM

I didnt mean i stole it as in "i had a really bad hand" just that i won without even seeing the flop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IT can happen. If the straddler has a hand like 93o or the such, he really can not call. They only problem is that pulling this play is too risky because someone might wake up with a hand behind you. I dont think it is worth trying for this play, in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible advice.

If you have a good starting hand on a straddle, particularly in EP, you 3-bet.

If it folds around to the straddler and he got lucky and picked up a hand - big deal. That's poker. Many times, the players that are 'gambloors' enough to straddle not only will call any 3 bet but they will often 4 bet with nearly any 2.

As for the "If he has 93o he can't really call" line...

Players that straddle don't do it and then fold. The fact that this player folded to a 3-bet and didn't simply call one more to see the flop is the point of this post. The whole point of straddle is to gamble it up and build a pot. I've played a lot in live games, particularly ones where there are alot of straddles, and I've never seen a straddled hand go down without a defence, not even for 2 bets back to the straddler.

If you are going to straddle and put 2 bets into the pot when you don't even know what your hand is - to throw it away for one more bet is asanine - particulary if there have been several players enter the pot.

In the long term, if I'm playing the the left of a player who straddles frequently, I'm going to 3-bet nearly every time I pick up any semblance of a hand. That's a pot I want to win and the fact that I can make it 3 bets to the rest of the field quickly will generally mean that I can play the pot shorthanded and have a chance to win a pot that has a few extra bets in it.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:40 AM

Could not agree more. RAISE!!! into the straddler. In fact, after 1 or 2 straddles by the same player, I like to tell him..."just wait, I'll get you!...", and get my 3-bet stack ready to fire. I will raise with just about anything above Q10, esp if limped or folded to me...I have found this to be a VERY profitable play...Straddle away on me, I LOVE IT!
Old 10-18-2004, 12:53 PM

"I was under the gun and raise, and he folded"

this cannot happen

the straddler would be the player utg

getting a straddler to fold should be impossible----a straddler is usually a player that likes to gamble. getting him to fold for one more bet just doesnt seem right. my raise against a straddler--would not be an attempt to steal blinds-straddle.

i like to drink and straddle

cheers
beer
Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 PM

Straddler to my right = I'm moving seats to play a hand from my big blind
Straddler to the left = I love it, three bet to build the pot with any good hand

I believe that anyone who starddles in a 3-6 game deserves to be dealt 2-7o every single time.

[ QUOTE ]
"I was under the gun and raise, and he folded"

this cannot happen

the straddler would be the player utg

[/ QUOTE ]

By straddling, the player UTG+1 essentialy becomes UTG due to the fact that he is the first to act with knowledge of his hand and such.