Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Me vs. Jay HU

Jay made me play with him on pokerstars yesterday, $5/$10 NLHE, HU. There were a few interesitng hands, he outplayed me each time. All comments appreciated. BTW, Jay said he was drunk.

5 minutes into the match I have 58h. Jay has raised the last few hands preflop and I've played tight so far, he raises this one to $30, I call on button. I've gotten berated for calling in this spot many times because I don't have odds to make a pair or a huge hand, but in this situation I also think I have some good steal possibilities. Flop comes 468, he checks, I bet $25 he raises to $110. Turn is J, he leads out $230. ??

I have A3 and raise to $30 he calls on the button. Flop is 379, I check (I had no plan here) he bets $70. ??

I raise to $30 with 6h 9h, he calls, flop is 4h 5h qc, I bet $40, he calls, turn is 5o. I check, he bets $110. ??
Old 10-18-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Jay outplays me HU

hand one your biggest mistake has to be deciding to flat call the flop raise. its either a fold or a re-raise there i think.

ill post my thoughts on the rest of the hands later
Old 10-18-2004, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay said he was drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a scary combination when a very good player doesn't mind throwing out a bunch of money on a pure bluff. They say Layne Flack plays some great poker when he's drunk because he'll back his stack with a read when he's got rags.

For the A3 hand, did you consider check raising him big to about 250 or so? Seems like he might make that bet with any two (is this accurate?), and even if he's got a hand a big checkraise is likely to get him to lay down something like T9.

What about betting the turn in hand 3? You raised preflop, fired the flop, and a turn check really screams weakness (of course it all depends on how you've been playing in a HU match). You might still have quite a bit of fold equity if you lead out on the turn again.

Interested to hear your thoughts, I've been getting into SH play recently so I've got alot to learn.

Justin A
Old 10-18-2004, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand one your biggest mistake has to be deciding to flat call the flop raise. its either a fold or a re-raise there i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why this is? I imagine it's because you can expect another big bet on the turn if you call. Am I close?

Justin A
Old 10-18-2004, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why this is? I imagine it's because you can expect another big bet on the turn if you call. Am I close?

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

yea. because if jay is bluffing, he will bet out the turn when an overcard comes like 100% of the time. if he isnt bluffing, then bruiser is behind when he makes the flop call anyway, and he would rather know sooner than later. the hand becomes very very difficult for bruiser if he flat calls jays raise, and would require one hell of a read if he wants to make it a EV play.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Me vs. Jay HU

i bet you never did this, but it seems he has no respect for you right now. make him pay with a hard turn check-raise at some point
Old 10-18-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They say Layne Flack plays some great poker when he's drunk because he'll back his stack with a read when he's got rags.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's they?
Old 10-18-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Me vs. Jay HU

I raise to $30 with 6h 9h, he calls, flop is 4h 5h qc, I bet $40, he calls, turn is 5o. I check, he bets $110. ??

not specific to this hand, but this is a very common line and happens all the time shorthanded. basically if you will bet the flop with nothing sometimes, it becomes correct for jay to call you with anything if you will frequently give up on the turn. so a fair amount of the time you have to checkraise the turn here with some less than stellar holdings.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-18-2004, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who's they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah hell, you got me. It was Phil Hellmuth in a Card Player article a while back. So maybe not too much validity there.

Justin A
Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who's they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah hell, you got me. It was Phil Hellmuth in a Card Player article a while back. So maybe not too much validity there.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I know a lot of people who would love to play in an NL game w/ Phil Hellmuth and a drunk Layne Flack.