Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Lay Down AA?

Last night in a Tournament Chip MTT on UB, down to 19 and 18 places pay the same. I am seriously short stacked (last overall) with $5700 and directly across the table is the next shortest at $5970. He is UTG or UTG+1 and the blinds 500/1000 (going up real soon). He goes all-in and it's folded to me with AA. There are a lot of big stacks still to play, and someone will likely call him.

I seriously thought about folding the aces, hoping he would get busted by someone else. Would any of you fold in this situation?

I ended up calling and they held up against his AT (or A9). Before he saw my hand, he said he thought I was crazy to call with the short stack. Luckily for him, he doubles up a couple of times and someone busts out in 19th at the other table after six hands or so.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Lay Down AA?

How would you feel if no one called him, or if someone called with an inferior hand and doubled him up? Then you'll be sitting there with the short stack and wishing you hadn't wasted your AA. It's not like if he gets called he instantly loses!

You should be thrilled to call here.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:09 PM

Absolutely call. Consider folding when there are already other callers and the next place up in prize money is significant.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:11 PM

Oh, you're right, I was thrilled to call, but the thought did cross my mind to fold. Before the cards started playing out, I thought, "well better to go out in style with busted aces than to lose later after folding them and feeling like a total moron".