Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: check the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
This hand has value if you play postflop very well...

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew there was something I was forgetting.

[ QUOTE ]
...an aggressive player may be planning to check-raise ... Plus you have outs, so you have to call the check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what happened. Then I missed and folded the river.

This is the type of hand where I can't stop myself from hammering on the turn waiting for my folding equity to kick in. I'm still struggling to figure out 6-max and the right way to be aggressive. When I raise and am heads up I want to keep betting until played back at, but in retrospect this is a good place where that's a bad plan. Thanks for the feedback.

/mc
Old 10-18-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand has value if you play postflop very well...

I knew there was something I was forgetting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that in the context of being against a player who will defend their blinds loosely (which is not what you want with T9s) and who will not play really weak tight or really loosely postflop but against whom you otherwise don't have a great read. I wasn't saying you don't play well postflop (although your question implies a great deal of uncertainty), just that it isn't always worth pushing thin hands against players who defend enough in the blinds and aren't horible postflop players. I think this is a marginal raise in this spot unless you have specific further info telling you it isn't.

When learning 6-max (I presume you are getting your feet weet) it may best to pass on thin spots where your inexperience will maxmize your downside and minimize your upside, thus hurting your ev and adding variance. Start tight and add hands as you get more comfortable, the games are loose enough that you can win without pushing stuff on the margins.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:26 PM

Such good advice.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't saying you don't play well postflop...

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken! That was just some of my hilarious self-deprecating wit.

Seriously though, my postflop skills are not where they need to be to get value from this situation. Your point is a good one.

To be honest I think sometimes I put myself in these thin situations because I'm so impatient to learn and improve and I don't mind losing some money while doing it.

Thanks again for the comments.

/mc
Old 10-18-2004, 02:24 PM

That's the same mindset I often find myself in. I took a shower and I reconsidered my previous "keep firing" stance. I suppose one other thing to consider is how often he plays strong on the flop with a hand but given the small pot size and the fact that you have nothing to do but bluff if you miss begs for a turn check.