Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 11:54 AM

Default big slick at party 0.5/1

I am pretty new at playing and I just experienced this play yesterday. Where did I go wrong?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (15.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 23.75 BB
Old 10-18-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: big slick at party 0.5/1

UTG+1 had rockets btw.

/Nick
Old 10-18-2004, 12:00 PM

Without any reads, it's kinda tough...

If it were me, with just overcards (I guess and a str8 draw), I call on the flop. When the ace comes, I like the raise, but when he 3-bets I'm guessing he's holding AA, because JJ-KK would (in theory) have gotten scared when a pre-flop raiser raises when an A comes on the turn.

I also call the turn and see what he had. He's obviously not scared off by the raising, so what exactly were you accomplishing by doing so?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:06 PM

The cap on the turn and the raise/cap on the river were excessive. It's hard to put your opponent on AA but KK will usually back off when an ace hits the board.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:06 PM

Without a read on the opponent, I can't say what they would be capping with pre-flop, so I'll assume some level of skill.

I'm figuring you were up against a top pocket pair and may have been dominated from the start.

Flop: You're heads up with over cards and a backdoor nut flush draw. Don't know if I'd play the raise b/c you're not going to get the odds for some of your draws.

Turn: You hit one of your out cards, but it still may have not been enough, if your opponent was holding pocket AA. Don't know if I would have gone with the cap. You've only got top pair with 4-straight on the board. (Although I doubt your opponent was capping PF with A5s or 55).

River: I would have simply called and saved/missed a few bets b/c he has been driving a strong hand the whole time.

Shaun
Old 10-18-2004, 12:08 PM

In the future don't post the result straight away, it may effect the answers given.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:10 PM

I'd call the turn 3-bet and call the river. He's shown a whole lot of aggression here. In fact, he bet every possible time he could.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I kinda figured that, I went a little overboard there and I misread his hand. Didn't consider AA before river which was stupid. But thanks a lot for the feedback, really helped..

/Nick
Old 10-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

That looks awfully familiar.... Was that me with the rockets (I would have been playing under the handle "VonGoosewing")? I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to the HH, but I seem to remember a hand a lot like that.

If it was me, I was playing very aggressively to drive out any draws (I would've hated it if someone with a 5 or a couple of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s were left standing after the flop...). If I were you, I might have slowed down a bit with AK, thinking I just might be up against rockets, as you were.

-Mike
Old 10-18-2004, 01:30 PM

Don't raise the flop. Just call.