Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need on

tiltless.com or tommyangelo.com
Old 10-18-2004, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Gonores

If you put Tommy's brain in a robot that could play 100-150 thousand hands of online poker over 60 days, the sum of money that Tommybot would make would be astronomically higher than $60000 or whatever I end up making. Mike l, a guy who thwomps the 100/200 game at Commerce, once said that if Tommy could play every river for him, he would make way more money than he currently does. The guy knows more about poker than I ever will...and even if he only knew a little more than I do, all he would need to do is increase my win rate by .1BB/100 hands to make up for his services over 100,000 hands at my current limits. Not only that...if I accept his services, I get to call him whenever the hell I want....that's probably worth $2000 in entertainment right there.

[ QUOTE ]
It says a lot about something,

[/ QUOTE ]

It says a lot about how easy these mid-limit online games are. It also says a lot about your perception. 60k may seem like a lot to make in two months, but it is definitely not the end-all and be-all of online poker. I'm reasonably certain that some of my contemporaries are earning twice as much as I am on an hourly basis (if they could only log the hours).

In the intro to my challenge, I stated that I was quite certain that I was a worse player than Schneids. I also said that if I had to be honest with myself, I would have to believe that I am constantly getting out-thought when I analyze hands on these boards. I read about hand, form my impression about the hand, then read the responses and change my impression. It happens all the time. My game always has needed and always will need improvement to keep me +EV.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:17 AM

Default 10/20 6max

Hmmmm, maybe it is time to learn shorthanded play a little more...

Seriously, do you think it is easier to beat than the 15/30 full ring game?

OPC
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need on

yea, i figured it out when i read the post 2 before mine. haha
Old 10-18-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re: 10/20 6max

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, maybe it is time to learn shorthanded play a little more...

Seriously, do you think it is easier to beat than the 15/30 full ring game?

OPC

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I think the 15/30 is a little easier to beat and a little more profitable - and it definitely gets more profitable the more simultaneous tables you play. I just find the full table game to be really boring.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Re: 10/20 6max

Who can coach me shorthanded? I have a 1k hand block i need looked at.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My game always has needed and always will need improvement to keep me +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good attitude.

If I could afford it, I'd hire Tommy Angelo or another good coach. $2,000 is a drop in the bucket if he can increase your earnings by only a tiny percentage, as you point out.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:06 AM

it's great to see that kind of attitude, I feel that way as well. in music, some of the greatest musicians in the world still practice and take lessons, and are constantly working on and learning new things. I used to study with an 82 year old pianist, and he still practiced every day and worked on things and learned new tunes. really inspiring.
--turnipmonster
Old 10-18-2004, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Where can we look into it?

anyone know about what Bob charges?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need one?

I have had a coach for almost a yr now. I try to work with him monthly and more so if I see its needed. At $100 an hr it is a very inexpensive investment.

The only thing I tend to do different than most people is I send hands in groups of 300. I hand write them and they cover 300 consecutive hands, included are notes on the various players and my reads. We then disect them for each muck, call or raise, working on my aggression as well as my reading skills. I believe that this format works much better than just focusing on the trouble hands as it seem to me that by doing it this way most of the so called trouble hands take care of themselves.