Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 08:43 PM

Default 99 in MP- 1st time playing party 3/6

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

This is like my 16th hand at the table so I basically have no reads. This is also my 16th hand ever of party 3/6, so I've got the jitters.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (13.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (11.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

So I just called here because in my experience at 1/2, that bet usually means that 78 just hit his straight. What would you regular 3/6ers do?

River: (16.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Here I thought that this could be the right moment for an overcall since the pot was so big, these 2 guys would not fold for just one bet, but they probably would for 2.

Final Pot: 20.66 BB

Please rip on me or agree with me or do some of both. Advice is always needed!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Re: 99 in MP- 1st time playing party 3/6

I haven't played 3/6 yet, but I think you raise the turn and definitely raise the river. Overcalls are good when you are not sure you have the bettor beat. You have the bettor beat, so raise. The pot's so big, some people might call two.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:54 PM

I'd cap the turn if they let me. The call on the river is OK, but if earlier aggression put only one player behind you, I'd raise there, too.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

This is like my 16th hand at the table so I basically have no reads. This is also my 16th hand ever of party 3/6, so I've got the jitters.

[/ QUOTE ]
Consider spending some time at 2/4 to get used to the aggression + $$$ amounts.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (11.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

So I just called here because in my experience at 1/2, that bet usually means that 78 just hit his straight. What would you regular 3/6ers do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise! Too big of a pot, too many players and too early to look for monsters under the bed. You have a re-draw against the straight to boot. Worse hands cold call and 3-bet you. I'd probably cap it.

[ QUOTE ]

River: (16.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Here I thought that this could be the right moment for an overcall since the pot was so big, these 2 guys would not fold for just one bet, but they probably would for 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you screwed up the turn, so why not the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You must believe you have the best hand here. Calling might get you 2 BB. Raising will certainly get you 1BB, but might win you a *lot* more.

The problem with your line is that you had a *very* strong hand in a loose and probably aggro game, then never gave anyone with a second best hand the chance to go to war with you and/or call it down with a weak hand.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:48 PM

Does anyone else open-raise in this situation with two limpers already or would you be out of position for the rest of the hand? Let me know

Anyway, I would raise the river because when the pot is that big people will cold call two bets.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:52 PM

with already 2 limpers I dont raise 99 in this spot
Old 10-17-2004, 09:53 PM

RAISE THE TURN!!!

did you jump from 1/2 to 3/6?? if so thats not good, spend some time at 2/4, even if you have the skills, it will get you used to the dollar amounts, 3 times the cash you are used to betting will definately effect your game
Old 10-17-2004, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else open-raise in this situation with two limpers already or would you be out of position for the rest of the hand? Let me know

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the table. If the limpers are loose and a raise might isolate them and put dead blind money in the pot, sure. However, I'd rather let aware players bring in hands in that aren't a threat (KQo, AJo, KJo, etc.) while I try to play set for 1SB. Also, if someone wakes up with TT+ I save some money this way.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:56 PM

Hey PokeHer, I think you played this one a little weak.

PF: Raise
Flop: Nice raise
Turn: Raise. You cannot be afraid of the one hand that's going to beat you because that's weak/tight thinking, which will make you miss a lot of bets. You don't mind seeing the turn capped.
River: Kind of plays differently since you didn't raise, but if they're still betting out after you raised and re-raised, call.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:58 PM

Raise the turn; if you had a read on the yet-to-acts you might want to call on the river for value... you had no read so it's a toss-up, in that case raise the river as well.