Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Forgive the whiny bitches, Des . . .

[ QUOTE ]
Give me a good bad-beat story any time. I can't get enough of 'em. And I'm not being sarcastic -- misery, as they say, loves company! Good to know that the Poker Gods aren't picking on just ME.

And to those of you who are sick of them -- um, unless your reading skills are so poor that it takes you five or ten minutes to make it through a 3-paragraph post, suck it up and move on. A big fat fifteen seconds of your life have been wasted -- boo freakin' hoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, Grisgra, i'm not miserable--- i'm actually doing pretty ok, both in poker lately and life. what get's me is exactly what you eluded to...it takes a couple of seconds to read a thread that does'nt even AFFECT or OFFEND you personally, and guys on these forums is acting like i'm Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden authoring a sympathy thread on an American website. even if this is a privately owned website, you're still free to not respond to or read anything that does'nt interest you. good luck to ya stomaching those river catches, the Poker Gods know no preference. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Des scratches his head on The Bubble- \"Oh Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
you are right about one thing--- i haven't made any money off of you. i don't play the $5 tourneys on Stars. but what i actually said was "you are the TYPE OF PERSON who i make my living from"

i know you don't get it-- and that there is very little chance of you ever "getting it", but i believe that my point about needing to be able to stomach bad beats in order to be a good player is valid.

and i'll explain it to you one last time--- more clearly:

you make money when other people make mistakes.

in poker, you will very rarely be guarenteed to win the hand--- you usually look for a situation where you have a better chance of winning than the other player(s).

people will beat you when they have the worst hand, just not as often as you will win with the best hand.

This is all common knowledge--- you KNOW this. I know that you do--- otherwise you wouldn't be able to recognize a bad beat. But you need to ask yourself some questions:

What do I accomplish by concentrating on my bad beats?
Do I wish that people didn't make those mistakes?
Do I want to get my money in with the worst of it?
Am I enriching this public forum by posting empty complaints which are neither informative nor extraordinary?

A good poker player has to ask themself many tough questions. It's because you don't even ask yourself these relatively easy questions that I don't think you'll ever be a good poker player.

I can make that more clear as well:

You do not demonstrate any ability to think critically.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can make money off any kind of player. i think you're thinking is real lame. who are you or anyone to say that because you author bad beat threads, then you're damned eternally to the cellar of poker ineptitude? that's stupid and downright dumb. quit eating so many vienna sausages because it's turning your brain into processed meat parts. there's no law, theorum, or commandment written in stone saying, "if you continue to think this way, you will not succeed in poker". it does'nt matter to me whether a player is willing to call with a dominated hand, even if over the long run i will win out against this type of play. i don't like losing period, whether it's short-term variance or not. if i'm an 80/20 favorite, i'm gonna be pissed with the 20% i did'nt win. i don't all of a sudden perk up because i know 80% will be mine. i only concern myself with the play at hand, tommorrow is a long way off and may never come. despite what your thinking may be toward me or others, for that matter, i've still proven myself a capable player and profitable player. if my stats or winnings don't measure up to your standards because i play at a lower limit, so what. i'll learn how to get through another day without your approval.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:35 AM

i really feel bad about myself for replying, but it'll be for the very last time and then i'll give up... the only reason why i'm trying one more time is because i actually do feel that this is really important...

"Des"-- It would be good if you thought about these questions.. maybe even answer some of them, because i'm curious as to how you can be who you represent yourself to be.

Do you want to play poker well?
Do you understand that you have some learning to do before becoming a good poker player?
Do you want a caller when you're an 80% favorite?
Do you only want callers when you're a dog?
How do you accumulate enough chips to win a tournament?
Do you judge your skill based on short-term results?
If your skill is based on long-term results, why do you care so much about the short-term?
Do you win by playing people who are better than you, or those that are worse than you?
Do you expect bad players to make good decisions?
Why do you need other people to think that you are a good player?
Do you have confidence in your skills?
Do you have confidence in statistics?

I really enjoy reading these forums. I wouldn't be the player that I am if not for the advice so freely and openly given here. I don't post very often, and have mainly lurked for the past year. If I'm harsh on you, it's because I am protective of this resource.

I don't understand your need... your need to be heard, to vent, to shake your fists at the poker-gods and be upset about a natural part of this game. And that's what bad beats are-- a natural, inevitable, and unstoppable part of poker. To not recognize this and accept it is to not understand the nature of the game.

I sometimes think that people WANT bad things to happen, just so that they have something to complain about. If you don't relish complaining, then what purpose does it serve to complain about things over which you have no control?

People use this forum to learn how to play poker. This specific section is dedicated to learning and discussing single-table tournaments. People don't learn anything from a bad-beat post. Everyone who has played even a little bit of poker (or watched it on TV) understands that the best hand is determined at the river.

If you understood these things, then I don't think you would make these posts. Or do you post bad beats because you can't control your emotions? Des-- good players can control their emotions. At the very least, good players STRIVE to control their emotions.

Try to control your emotions. Try to recognize that the long-term is most important, that the best player doesn't win all the time, and that you, despite your impressive stats and winnings, have a lot to learn about the game.

This post has a distinctly different tone than my other one. I'm tired. I'm tired physically (the sun is about to come up), and mentally (I've played poker all night). I'm also tired of you, Des. I'm frustrated. I don't understand how a person who can so eloquently make up phrases like "damned to the cellar of poker ineptitude" can not recognize the truth to what I'm trying to un-eloquently say.

There is no law that says "If you continue to think this way, you will not succeed in poker". It only takes common sense though to see that if you don't accept that bad-beats are an unavoidable part of poker, then you don't understand the game. And I think that it's impossible to be good at poker if you don't understand and recognize the nature of the game.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really feel bad about myself for replying, but it'll be for the very last time and then i'll give up... the only reason why i'm trying one more time is because i actually do feel that this is really important...

"Des"-- It would be good if you thought about these questions.. maybe even answer some of them, because i'm curious as to how you can be who you represent yourself to be.

Do you want to play poker well?
Do you understand that you have some learning to do before becoming a good poker player?
Do you want a caller when you're an 80% favorite?
Do you only want callers when you're a dog?
How do you accumulate enough chips to win a tournament?
Do you judge your skill based on short-term results?
If your skill is based on long-term results, why do you care so much about the short-term?
Do you win by playing people who are better than you, or those that are worse than you?
Do you expect bad players to make good decisions?
Why do you need other people to think that you are a good player?
Do you have confidence in your skills?
Do you have confidence in statistics?

I really enjoy reading these forums. I wouldn't be the player that I am if not for the advice so freely and openly given here. I don't post very often, and have mainly lurked for the past year. If I'm harsh on you, it's because I am protective of this resource.

I don't understand your need... your need to be heard, to vent, to shake your fists at the poker-gods and be upset about a natural part of this game. And that's what bad beats are-- a natural, inevitable, and unstoppable part of poker. To not recognize this and accept it is to not understand the nature of the game.

I sometimes think that people WANT bad things to happen, just so that they have something to complain about. If you don't relish complaining, then what purpose does it serve to complain about things over which you have no control?

People use this forum to learn how to play poker. This specific section is dedicated to learning and discussing single-table tournaments. People don't learn anything from a bad-beat post. Everyone who has played even a little bit of poker (or watched it on TV) understands that the best hand is determined at the river.

If you understood these things, then I don't think you would make these posts. Or do you post bad beats because you can't control your emotions? Des-- good players can control their emotions. At the very least, good players STRIVE to control their emotions.

Try to control your emotions. Try to recognize that the long-term is most important, that the best player doesn't win all the time, and that you, despite your impressive stats and winnings, have a lot to learn about the game.

This post has a distinctly different tone than my other one. I'm tired. I'm tired physically (the sun is about to come up), and mentally (I've played poker all night). I'm also tired of you, Des. I'm frustrated. I don't understand how a person who can so eloquently make up phrases like "damned to the cellar of poker ineptitude" can not recognize the truth to what I'm trying to un-eloquently say.

There is no law that says "If you continue to think this way, you will not succeed in poker". It only takes common sense though to see that if you don't accept that bad-beats are an unavoidable part of poker, then you don't understand the game. And I think that it's impossible to be good at poker if you don't understand and recognize the nature of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you trying to get a book deal with Simon & Schuester? damn, this post is long. talk about frustration. i can see why you're frustrated if it takes you this long to get your point across.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:39 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/to...amp;User=10389
Old 10-15-2004, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/to...amp;User=10389

[/ QUOTE ]

oh baby. if id had known i could do that id have done it long ago.

how do i thank you properly, money, girls, boys (i dont judge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) perhaps performing a hit on someone...

Phill