Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Laying down a set in a raised pot.

you would much rather not have the 5s. but that's not the biggest factor in that game.

matt
Old 10-15-2004, 12:51 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/re...mp;Main=863832
[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 08:36 AM

If the hero has the 5 of spades, the other player could not have 2 pair with the spade draw, and still have the 5 help him. So, maybe the check raiser flopped a set, however, probably a pair and flush draw, maybe 2 pair, I would push all in and hope...you were good...if you were, it does not matter if you are out drawn...nl is a game of never drawing on big bets..if he has 1 pair and a draw, or two pair and a draw, or anything less, he is a huge dog and you get chips...if you are beat, he had a better hand and improved, tough luck..furthermore, if you cant take a raise you can't bet the turn!!!That is Pot Limit and No limit 101
Old 10-15-2004, 11:59 AM

[quote} if you cant take a raise you can't bet the turn!!!That is Pot Limit and No limit 101

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. There are many times you will bet even if you plan to fold or slow down to a raise.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:53 PM

yes, ray's the best, and here he's saying the 5s is the most important factor on whether you win. yup. i'm just pointing out the obvious that the typical opponent in internet 2-4 is so loose that you are going all in, and quibbling that the location of the 5s wouldn't change that against very loose opponents. no big deal.

matt
Old 10-15-2004, 12:58 PM

All of my money is going in on the turn. If you loose, just rebuy.

Ace
Old 10-15-2004, 01:02 PM

Grifter, I am talking about a hand that you want to see a showdown with...you don't want to put in any money if you don't want to get raised...this player bet, was check raised then folded on the river to a bet...he should never bet the turn if that was his plan...I understand what you are saying, however, his play was poor...he should have reraised all in as Mr. Zee stated, or Bet the max on the turn to pot commit himself then.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grifter, I am talking about a hand that you want to see a showdown with...you don't want to put in any money if you don't want to get raised...this player bet, was check raised then folded on the river to a bet...he should never bet the turn if that was his plan...I understand what you are saying, however, his play was poor...he should have reraised all in as Mr. Zee stated, or Bet the max on the turn to pot commit himself then.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still oversimplifying things when you say "you don't want to put in any money if you don't want to get raised". There are many times you should put in money if you don't want to get raised. A better rule is, you shouldn't make a bet unless you have a plan once you get raised, even if that plan is to fold.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:53 PM

I still dont understand a few of the hero's plays:

1) If you think your opponent is slowplaying a set then why would you lead out and then call a raise. My goal, if I thought I was beat would be to lay it down OR call down the bets and see what the villian holds at the showdown

2) If you think your opponent has a higher set then why call even a small $4 bet on the flop knowing you need quads to take it down. Again this is a waist of money (just like leading out and calling a raise) if the hero thinks the villain has a higher set.

3) On the river the villain's bet makes the pot >$1150. Laying down your set could cost you a nice pot (since you are really only behind to 2 hands). Assuming a sufficient bank roll, one must call this bet
Old 10-15-2004, 04:26 PM

stop laying down sets online