Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Creating a loose image early on

When I first sit down at a table, I always raise at least twice in my first orbit with garbage and show so I can get paid off later on. This was the first hand I played on the table. It’s a $2-$5 table with a couple of rocks, a couple of maniacs, and some unknowns. I’m utg+1 and make it $20 to go with T3h. co+1 an unknown calls, button a maniac calls, as does the bb another unknown.

The flop comes Ts 2h 5h. bb checks, I bet $70, co+1 calls, button calls, bb makes a mini raise to $140. I have $400 left, and bb has $600. What’s your move?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Creating a loose image early on

My move is to play in your game and call with anything when you first sit down, and then take the flop from there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 12:01 PM

I think this is a great situation to discuss for a lot of reasons. There is $80 in the pot preflop and now $350 more than that for a $430 total pot. You have $400 left, so a reraise all in wouldn't be that much more.

However, your flush outs are certainly not clean and your pair is probably not the best right now. The question now is if you think you can fold out a better flush draw while getting the correct odds to draw out on a pair.

Let's say you think one person has two flush cards, but will fold to a push. That means you have 7 remaining flush outs plus probably three clean two-pair outs to make the best hand if no one has a set. I think in this case it is a clear push. However, if you feel that someone has a set, which someone very possibly does, this is an easy fold. Your pair is worthless now, and your flush outs are also tainted. The possbility of him filling up crushes you as well.

So it's a question of whether you think someone has a set. If you want to push for image reasons and this is a game that you will sit in very often, I can certainly understand that.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:04 PM

Hmm... pair + flush draw + $400 in the pot = easy push. You shouldn't have to think twice about this. Sometimes you will get screwed (e.g. if a bigger draw and a bigger made hand both call, or if there is a set out), but in the long run this is hugely +EV for you.

-muz
Old 10-15-2004, 12:19 PM

stack off, tip the dealer a dollar in advance for when you hit and tell your opponent to raise like a man next time.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-15-2004, 12:30 PM

I definitely should have added this, co+1 has about $400 left, and button has $250.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:34 PM

looks to me like you're drawing to maybe 3 outs, your 3. fold seems best here, however if you really want to get a good image (imo not worth it in a mid NL game) a push isn't so bad, but it's probably not very good for your EV.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 PM

I thought about this for a long time and folded.

Basically I was pretty sure I wasn't going to push any of the reaming players out. I put co+1 on the flush draw with over cards, button either has the draw or a ten, not really sure what to put the bb on. So that leaves me with a pair that is likely no good and a draw that probably won't hit and even if it does I'm screwed.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:00 PM

The whole point of getting involved in this hand was to create a loose gambling image, when you fold you don't do this. What is the point of starting it in the first place? I would have pushed, and showed T3s, if I lose, rebuy, no problem, you have gambling image. But if you win, look out, you could tighten up for the rest of the night and people would still give you action.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:08 AM

go all in...