Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Quadtime: Be more greedy on turn?

Folks,

Thanks so much for your feedback on my very first post. Here is just one more for today, which represents the other side of the coin when things went really well for me.

The question is if I did the correct actions to extract the most $$$ from the other players, or could I have milked them more? (I really contemplated a raise on the turn) Or maybe I did exactly what I needed to do?? Thanks in advance folks.

PokerRoom 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds.

I *REALLY* wanted to raise on the turn here. But no...

River: (15 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 23 BB
Old 10-14-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Quadtime: Be more greedy on turn?

Fold PF. Being the first cold-caller preflop is almost always bad.

There isn't one right way to play the flop. You could raise it after UTG leads out and hope for J's and flush draws to call. Given the flop call and the BEAUTIFUL SB check-raise reopening the action, you need to just jump back in the saddle and cap this. You will have terrible relative position on the turn, so just get your bets in when you have company.

Raise this turn. UTG really likes his hand. He may slow down or he may 3-bet AJ, AA, JJ hands. High single card flush draws will call 2 on the turn, but will not give you any action unless they hit on the river.

River, good.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:48 PM

you really need to raise the turn. You really should fold preflop.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:51 PM

Given UTG's flop play, I would raise this every time on the turn. He really likes his hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he's holding JJ.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you really need to raise the turn. You really should fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, thanks. Even though the flop worked out for me, I'm trying to see the big picture, realizing that these low pairs in MP have to be folded because in the long term, they lose money against a raise if you call. And if it happens if I do muck and quads come out on the flop? Let it go...emotionally...and move on.

But being that I did stay in, why not play this more aggressively in the face of opponents who are loving their hand.

Thank you.