Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Player constantly stare at his cards. Tell?

I'm asking about lives game where people actually "hold" their cards(like 5-draw home games), I'm finding that when people get really good cards, they cant help to look back like two or three time at his cards to make sure 'its really true', if he had bad cards he would probably would NOT want to look again to the cards as there is no reason to do it

I never read caros book or anything so maybe this is a classic tell, but I'm find this realiable, even online I find myself 'staring' at AKs or black AA so gorgeous they look, anyone can confirm this?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Player constantly stare at his cards. Tell?

I've played with the Hooters deck and I found myself constantly staring....is that a tell?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:40 PM

Probably a pretty good one. I notice the urge in myself and must resist. When playing hold'em, and dealt AA, I'm always tempted to look twice, or look longer, just to be sure I really have it.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:52 PM

According to Caro, this is a classic case of "Strong means weak." The crazy professor would argue that more often than not, this means the player has trash. However, I can definitely see how this would vary depending on the level of play.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played with the Hooters deck and I found myself constantly staring....is that a tell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Big tell. If you were staring at the correct side then everyone at the table could see your cards! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 03:47 PM

Two points.
First, you're making a mistake by not reading Caro's book. Why ask us for the meaning of one specific tell when he has written the definitive book on the subject?
Second, ALL general rules for tells have exceptions. The best thing to do is to find out what staring (or any other behavior pattern) means for THIS player. You will find, I think, that some people stare at great hands, while others do so thinking, "This trash again?" or "How can I miss so many draws?"
Regards,
Al