Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Where did I mess up?

I swear this is not a bad beat story. I'm very interested in your thoughts on my play on the turn and thinking involved.

PokerStars Game $2 no limit hold 'em
UTG +1 (1135 in chips)
EP 1(3655 in chips)
MP 1(1730 in chips)
LP 1(1405 in chips)
CU (1540 in chips)
Hero (Button) (1485 in chips)
SB (2160 in chips)
BB(2590 in chips)
UTG(2035 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Hero [8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
UTG folds
EP 1 folds
MP 1 folds
LP 1 calls 50
CU folds
Hero calls 50
SB calls 25
BB checks
*** FLOP *** [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
SB checks
BB checks
LP 1 checks
Hero checks
*** TURN *** [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
SB bets 150
BB folds
LP 1 calls 150
Hero calls 150
*** RIVER *** [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
SB bets 1300
LP 1 folds
Hero calls 1285 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
SB shows [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (a flush, King high)
Hero shows [8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (a flush, Ten high)
SB collected 3220 from pot

So I flop the stone cold nuts and check. I figure I have the goods plus a straight flush draw. I make a weak call on the turn hoping to trap on the river. I did not put SB or LP 1 on a flush draw as I figured they would have bet that on the flop. I also know that if they are on a flush draw two of their outs make a straight flush for me. I call on the river thinking my flush is good, and that SB is either bluffing or maybe hit a set or two pair.

Obviously I badly misplayed this hand, and I'm thinking I should have pushed on the turn with a bet and call in front of me. Also was my call on the river the wrong move? I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Where did I mess up?

definitely push the turn.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:37 PM

IMHO, bet 1.5 or 2xBB on the flop. Any flush draw will call but maybe a fish with a pair will call too thinking that your trying to cheaply steal the hand. If bet into on the turn, push, otherwise I'd bet about 1/2 the pot. Flush draw isn't getting odds anymore, so if called you can probably push on the river hoping someone had a set or 2 pair.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:41 PM

You need to make a raise on the flop. You can't let a flush draw see a free card there.
Raise again on the turn. If the person still calls you then he is not a very good player and will give that money back eventually.