Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 05:29 PM

Default How to play this AKs

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

CO ($10.10)
Button ($12.35)
SB ($5.65)
BB ($13.75)
UTG ($3.60)
UTG+1 ($9.90)
MP1 ($7.65)
MP2 ($11.40)
Hero ($10.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Flop: ($1.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>, Button calls $0.40.

Turn: ($2.05) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($2.05) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Button calls $4.

Final Pot: $10.05
<font color="green">Main Pot: $10.05, between Button and Hero.</font>

button has been playing very aggressively, but i've only been around for 30 or so hands so he might have just been catching cards. i bet about 1/3pot on the flop to try to get him to raise so i could push. is this the type of flop you want to push with AKs? i felt going for the check-raise on the flop and betting the turn if he checked might be the better line. i put him on a lower flush draw and i really thought i could trap him with a turn check. the river overbet was to feign a bluff. i think i may be suffering from fancy play syndrome. especially with these guys that probably don't notice what i'm doing.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: How to play this AKs

I try to go for a check-raise on the flop here and bet the turn. Why did you overbet the river like that?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:44 PM

yeah..i realize how big a mistake it is now. he's definitely not gonna call a "bluff" with a missed flush draw that i put him on and if he had an ace he would have definitely bet the turn. how much would you bet on the turn here?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:48 PM

if i have a strong hand i usually bet 1/2 the pot.then if a blank id fire a pot shot on the river.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:46 AM

This one's tough, because he's shown no aggression on this hand, calling all your bets, whether raises, small (1/3 pot) bets or larger overbets (2x pot).

As you said, he'd been pretty aggressive before this hand, though. So, I would have checked the flop, to give the impression I'm scared my KK/QQ/TT just got beat. If he bet there, I'd wait about 10 seconds and call, making it look reluctant. Then I'd go for the CR on the turn, hoping he'd fire another shot at it. If still no action by the river, then the 2x pot bet is good. Anything more and he'll fold. I'm guessing he had a FD that missed (w/ a T) or other KT/QT for the ISD that missed.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:59 AM

the biggest mistake by far is checking the turn. what was your reasing for doing so?
one downside is that you lose some value vs a lower ace or a lower draw, as he is liable to check behind the turn with either of those (incorrectly if he has an ace). if you were planning to check raise the turn then its acceptable, but i would rather bet out there. you have no reason to believe he will definently bet the turn if checked to. im assuming the thought process went something like this "on the flop i have a pretty strong hand, so i will bet. nice, i hit my trips, very strong hand now. i will check and slowplay" if so, this is the incorrect way to look at situations like these. put him on a range of hands then figure out how to get the max out of him
Old 10-14-2004, 10:22 AM

thanks for the response. at the time i checked the turn because i thought he would bet. i had underbet the pot on the flop and by checking the turn, i felt that i was showing a lot of weakness,and i thought he would bluff at me to represent an ace. i also felt that giving a free card here was fine since i had the nut draw. in fact, i had put him on a smaller flush draw and giving him a free card would give him a chance to make the second best hand. but as you pointed out, i got into the 'go with your first read, don't adjust it' mentality, and i might have lost a lot of value if he did have an ace.