Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 05:13 PM

Default AKs, $50 Party NL - Tough spot

Raise more preflop?

Easy flop fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($31.65)
SB ($72.5)
BB ($28.4)
UTG ($40)
UTG+1 ($13.33)
UTG+2 ($42)
MP1 ($100.96)
MP2 ($61.5)
MP3 ($50)
CO ($41.9)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $1, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises to $2</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) calls $1, CO calls $2, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls $6, MP3 calls $6, CO calls $6.

Flop: ($34.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $15</font>, Hero ???
Old 10-13-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: AKs, $50 Party NL - Tough spot

i wouldnt reraise with AK it tells him too much about your hand..fold on the flop.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldnt reraise with AK it tells him too much about your hand..fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would not raise PF w/ AKs? What about AA or KK, would you raise with those? Wouldn't that also tell them too much about your hand?
I don't get your reasoning at all.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2004, 05:30 PM

my style is all about deception...if someone raises before me and i have AK I'll call. in this case i may just much that thinking im against KK or AA.

with AA, KK, QQ id raise here, prolly 2x whats in the pot.

AK is a drawing hand...any pocket pair is a favorite against you. I wouldnt put a lot of money in preflop on AK in a cash NL..wait until the flop and you hit an ace or king then get aggressive. the person who raised may have AQ or AJ, you dont to tip them off their kicker is no good. Also if the flop comes AKQ or AKJ theres a good chance you're opponent has a lower 2 pair..i get paid off almost everytime when they do.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:32 PM

There is nothing tough about this spot. You re-raised with good position on the button, completely missed the flop and have someone betting into to you. With such a short stack you don't even have enough to raise all-in on a bluff and try to get him to fold if you have a good read that he's really weak. Muck it and move on.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:37 PM

also with 31.5 in a 50 nl Cash game id reload...when you get a good hand against a big stack you'll want as much money as possible.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:45 PM

I would have made it $10 to go PF. There's already $8.50 in the pot, so it seems to me your $8 raise is a bit on the light side. You're not too far off, though, so no real problem with that move.

If I were CO and had QQ, I would have reraised PF for information. I need to know if an opponent has AA/KK. He didn't do that, so I discount the set. (With no read, I have to figure he'd play like me.)
I also discount 44 and 33, as your reraise will push many players off looking for a set from those hands. (FWIW, with two prior callers, the odds are there to call, I just don't see many players doing so in that situation.)

The only hands I see that have you beat are mid-PPs (JJ-77) or AQ. The only other likely holding is a flush draw, possibly A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the FD/SD combos.

With two players showing weakness to him, including the original raiser (who I would put on a mid-PP), CO could be trying a semi-bluff w/ a FD.

With a short stack, you can't call. Your choices are fold or push. There are a lot of hands that beat you, but you have outs. I'd probably fold, but I would not be happy about it.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my style is all about deception...if someone raises before me and i have AK I'll call. in this case i may just much that thinking im against KK or AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you raise PF w/ AK if no one raised before you? If so, from any position, just early, late?

[ QUOTE ]
with AA, KK, QQ id raise here, prolly 2x whats in the pot.

AK is a drawing hand...any pocket pair is a favorite against you. I wouldnt put a lot of money in preflop on AK in a cash NL..wait until the flop and you hit an ace or king then get aggressive. the person who raised may have AQ or AJ, you dont to tip them off their kicker is no good. Also if the flop comes AKQ or AKJ theres a good chance you're opponent has a lower 2 pair..i get paid off almost everytime when they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you raise w/ any PP? Any PP above a certain value (say TT and up)? If that's the only time you raise PF, it seems to me that's more of a tell than when you add AK to the mix. If you are willing to raise w/ AK the same way you raise w/ TT, it's harder for them to put you on a set when a T flops, and easier for them to think their QQ/JJ is beat when an A or K comes on the flop.

&lt;I'm not saying you're wrong to play it this way. I guess I'm just more aggressive. I feel like if I get hit on the flop, my TPTK is usually good, and I want to get more money in the pot. At these levels, MANY players will call a PFR w/ AQ/AJ and then think they're golden when an A comes.&gt;