Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 11:36 PM

Default New to stud

Recently I sat down at a .5/1 7stud game at party. Now never playing stud before I could be mistaken, but it seemed to me the quality of play was even lower than hold'em at the same limits. Can anyone affirm this? Or do I just not know stud? In that initial session I won $50 in an hour which I assume is quite unsustainable [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Anyway, because of this I decided it may be a good idea to learn stud.

1. Books: another thread mentioned 7SFAP as the only book, nuff said already ordered.

2. Where would be the best place to play while learning?

3. Is the competition truly weaker than in hold'em? What are your average expectations?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:41 AM

Default Re: New to stud

More EV, more variance. The swings can be nuts. I've gained 30 BB in 30 minutes and lost the same at 1/2. Never be afraid to cap...often they will have ridiculous hands. Within reason, of course.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:06 AM

If 50 BB/hr were sustainable at Party's $.50/1.00 game, I wouldn't waste my time with lame-ass $40/80 home games. As for your individual points:

1. That was me. There are dissenters.

2. Foxwoods.

3. Because there are so many new players who want to play hold'em, I think that currently, hold'em games are a bit better than stud games. That said, a large body of stud players are of the loose-passive persuasion, and this is the kind of player you want in your game. I think stud is more fun, and if there are stud games available to you at the stakes you want to play, it can be very rewarding.

This post brought to you by Guinness, and quite a lot of it, thank you.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:48 PM

1. the 7 stud section in supersystem is pretty good too, and i've been told the west book for beginners is pretty good to learn the basics.

2. i don't play much stud live, but best way to learn is probably online where you can crank out more hands per hour and play anytime you want.

3. i've found that some of the sucky stud players can be unbelievably bad.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:59 PM

There are so many things in the West book that aren't quite right that I can't recommend it.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many things in the West book that aren't quite right that I can't recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never read it pooh-bah buddy. care to elaborate?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:21 PM

I have in other threads in the last two or three months. If I were to go into detail about everything I didn't like in that book, my response would be nearly as long as the book itself. timmer may yet goad me into writing a lengthy diatribe about it, especially if I have as much time on my hands next week as I have had this week.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Where would be the best place to play while learning?

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me elaborate. What I was mostly interested in was what site online would be best to play on. I'm sure playing low limit stud live is just as easy as low limit hold'em (gotta love those people who river 2 pair with 32o to beat your KK :0) But the closest to me is a 2hr drive to Atlantic City (which I do far more often than I should on my days off)
Old 10-13-2004, 05:30 PM

I tend to find that holdem players are dumber but most people play no-limit which rewords the idiot so if you played poker before and know what a good hand is these people cant double up in a stud hand while they can in a no-limit holdem hand. Even though 50 dollars in an hour means people must of fished everything.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though 50 dollars in an hour means people must of fished everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also got quite lucky. Rolled up 2's hit quads, hit a higher full house twice...

Oh yes, also what do you guys use to track results? I actually thought I'd try and create my own dbase as a personal project, but is there anything else out there?