Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 11:33 PM

Default PS 20+2 MTT Hand

There are about 70 players left, top 63 get paid. And I have a better than average stack with about t14000. The player to my right has about t16000, it is folded to him and he calls the big blind (300/600, 50 antes).

I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

and raise to t2400 at the CO. Button, SB, and BB fold, the player to my right calls. The flop comes:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bets out t2400 and I re-raise all-in. He calls and turns over:

J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

It doesn't really matter how it turns out. If I win this hand, I am in like 3rd place in chips, if I lose I am out. Did I misplay the aces anywhere here? Perhaps pushing pre-flop? I did manage to get all of my money in as a more than 2:1 favorite, so I have a hard time saying I played badly here, but maybe there is a better way to minimize risk on the bubble?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:34 PM

Default Re: PS 20+2 MTT Hand

good play, cards happen.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:43 PM

I am just wondering if I should either push or fold here with pocket aces pre-flop? Or re-raise a bigger amount? I am really only questioning my play because it is right on the bubble and I am wondering if I shouldve have been abnormally weak-tight in my playing at this point. I had pretty much zero chance of going out before the money if I didn't play. I mean he couldve had me even worse with Q9 or 99; he could've also had the straight flush draw. I mean my read was that he had the queen and I felt really good about that, but he actually has more outs with the straight draw.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:47 PM

What was the prize for 63rd? $38 or something like that?

How about first? $2000 or more, probably?

Make me a 2:1 favorite where a win puts me in third place just before the bubble and I'll take it every time.

The "risky" play here is to slowplay the flop with a flat call or minraise.

Nice play...better luck next time.

Che

Edit: Oh yeah, preflop was perfect.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:50 PM

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. I feel maybe I shouldve raised to t3200 or so pre-flop, but that's about the only place where I think I misplayed. I felt pretty confident I had him on the flop, but there is also the chance he had me beat... I mean do I just take that risk and push?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 AM

TheMetetron-

[ QUOTE ]
I feel maybe I shouldve raised to t3200 or so pre-flop, but that's about the only place where I think I misplayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make the raise you normally make over one limper. I almost always make it 4BB, but I occasionally go higher.

[ QUOTE ]
I felt pretty confident I had him on the flop, but there is also the chance he had me beat... I mean do I just take that risk and push?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must do two things to win at poker:

1. Do a better job than your opponents at analyzing situations.
2. Have the confidence in your abilities to act on your analysis.

You did both well in this case.

Poker is all about managing risk. Risk cannot be avoided - you just have to make the correct play and let the cards fall where they may. Sometimes you lose, but you usually win (if you are good).

Later,
Che
Old 10-13-2004, 12:21 AM

yep. as has been said, good preflop play, you made a read on the flop, it was right, and you got your chips in with the best of it.

also, with 70 players left is no time to get weak tight, unless maybe you we're playing in one of the quarter mils..