Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Betting The River - Flush On The Board

Sorry if this is another random crappy hand post but I have no idea if I played this properly and was hoping for a few comments.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Now the reason I bet out the turn and the river was because I figured there was roughly a 50% chance my opponent held a spade. I thought betting out was a better solution because if I checked then he bet I'd be faced with trying to decide if he had a spade or was just trying to steal. If I got raised I was planning to fold.

Was it proper to play it like this or should I have just let it go?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Betting The River - Flush On The Board

The turn bet is fine, but I would check the river. He is very likely not holding a high spade or he would have raised the turn, but he could be holding a low spade and fear you have a higer one.

He is obviously not going to fold with the flush on board, but it is likely he will check a low spade through which will save you a bet.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:53 PM

The turn bet is a must. I would check the river. Whether you call a bet on the river is up to you...
Old 10-12-2004, 05:20 PM

The problem with the river bet is that against a worse hand, you don't earn anything, but against a better hand, you lose a bet. He didn't raise the turn, so I don't think he's betting this river. Additionally, the pot is small. If he has ANY spades, he wins -- and he called the turn. Check to him and hope he doesn't have a spade, or he has the 4s and doesn't make you pay to see it.

Rob
Old 10-12-2004, 05:30 PM

Yup the advice you all gave makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help.

T