Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Floor Decision

Down to the final four in a $50 rebuy tournament. Blinds are 800-1600. It is folded to the small blind. He has about 4-5k in chips behind his SB. BB is the chip leader (10-12k). SB has 8 black chips out for the SB, he takes 8 more black chips from his stack and says "go all-in" as he places the chips in his hand next to his SB. The BB says call and turn over his cards.

The SB indicated that he was merely calling and that he was telling the BB that he should go all-in. The dealer and everyone else at the table thought he was all-in. The floor decided that he should be all-in and they played out the hand. Is this the correct decision in this situation?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Floor Decision

I think that this may vary from room to room, but at my local room, any verbal action made in turn is binding. Since that was the ruling both by the dealer and the floor, I'm guessing that that's the rule in this house as well. I think that any reasonable person would interpret "go all-in" as meaning that he wanted to go all-in. If he had put out his completion before saying that, then it would have been only a call whether he wanted to raise or not.

This is why I am very careful about what I say during the play of a hand. In fact, I usually don't speak, letting my chips do the talking.

His telling the other guy to go all-in is a violation of the one-player-to-a-hand rule. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2004, 01:02 PM

Who won the hand?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:12 PM

BB won the hand. He had AQ and the SB had A3. Nobody paired and the Queen played. SB was very upset and complained about it from across the room for the next half hour.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB won the hand. He had AQ and the SB had A3. Nobody paired and the Queen played. SB was very upset and complained about it from across the room for the next half hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

was he really going to fold to the all in from the BB after limping when he had an ace? gimme a break
Old 10-12-2004, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who won the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's irrelevant to the question at hand. But, the ruling is correct, if he made the verbal declaration prior to placing his chips in the betting area, then he's all-in. You can't say, "Go all-in" check for a reaction then fold, that's an angle shoot and the reason why verbal declarations are binding. Same reason you can't place money in the pot, then hem, haw around and raise (string-raise).
Old 10-13-2004, 06:02 AM

Floor made the correct call. The player needed to be careful.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The SB indicated that he was merely calling and that he was telling the BB that he should go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 PM

Exactly. With A-3?