Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 04:00 AM

Default Re: I give up...

id like to add one more thing, if you think about this from the mind of the pusher you will see the this is criminal to fold here. if people know that you are going to fold AK to a cutoff raise youll get raised every time.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Re: I folded AK suited

I think a big mindset is how late it is into the tournament, are you in the money, how far are you from the money, etc etc. Obviously if there are only 20 payouts and there are 200 people, you should not gamble for a potential coinflip.

However, I see it that when you're near to double the payout number (around 40 people), you should strive to maximize your chip stack, and this is definitely one of those opportunites. You could have him totally dominated. Don't think about making the money all the time, sometimes you gotta go for the gold...especially with low buy in tournaments. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2004, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously if there are only 20 payouts and there are 200 people, you should not gamble for a potential coinflip.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Thats not obvious at all, and pretty wrong. If you play like that you will always always always be short stacked as the money approaches.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked down and saw AK . Knowing that to get to the end would require me to survive, I decided to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

god, if I thought i could get AKs to fold when I open steal-err open raise from the CO w/ my garbage J9o, I would jump for joy. what's worse is you probably showed it in a hellmuthian-esque move of ego-maximo.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id like to add one more thing, if you think about this from the mind of the pusher you will see the this is criminal to fold here. if people know that you are going to fold AK to a cutoff raise youll get raised every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

-Jarid
Old 10-12-2004, 01:25 PM

If you make folds like this on regular basis you can be just about assured of never winning a tourney.
Ace
Old 10-12-2004, 02:57 PM

I wouldn't fold this everytime. I folded as maybe a third of the field was gone. I didn't have a read on the player at the time and figured to have a chance to make it to the final table, it was better to lay it down.
Later I would get AQ, AQ and AJ 3 times in a row and lost each hand. Raised from mid position on each 3x blinds, then 2xs and then limped just to have the first go down to KK, the second I mucked to two re-raises with the winner showing AK and making a full house. The AJ went down to a nothing flop and a big bet.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I looked down and saw AK . Knowing that to get to the end would require me to survive, I decided to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

god, if I thought i could get AKs to fold when I open steal-err open raise from the CO w/ my garbage J9o, I would jump for joy. what's worse is you probably showed it in a hellmuthian-esque move of ego-maximo.

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon Soss, why the insult?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was better to lay it down

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a considerable amount of my math brain cells (very limited to begin with) showing that in fact it was not better to lay down. You keep asserting your play was right, despite the numbers, and the examples of everybody else, thats cool. Post some numbers of your own, a range of hands, something, dont just blindly assert that a play that we've shown to be incorrect is right.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:01 PM

cuz he's right