Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Lederer getting to heavy to play?

Lederer gets bigger and bigger every tournament. I heard somewhere that he used to be really obese and lost weight. He has balooned in the past year. He used to be normal sized in last year's WSOP at PSI he is just obese.

Somebody said that Doyle got that stomach surgery. He is still unhealthy obese for a man his age. Hopefully he starts dropping pounds soon.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Lederer getting to heavy to play?

No.

You have to have a lot of pounds packed in to make it through the tremendously stressful and rigorous WSOP marathon session. As you have seen on TV this journey can be grueling and tough. You use those pounds like a Camel uses its hump in the long trek through the desert. The professor is smart and has studied the last two WSOP bracelet winners and has picked a few pointers from them.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:54 PM

i saw lederer in aruba and wouldn't call him obese. he was overweight and could stand to lose some, but otherwise he looked "normal". i mean you wouldn't look twice at him if he was walking down the street, unless you were a poker groupie like most on this forum.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:57 PM

I think it is none of our buisness to discuss obesity level of pro poker players.

respect privacy!
Old 10-12-2004, 12:01 AM

Well, when you read about the ninth or tenth poker pro to have Gastric bypass surgery it does sort of become an issue of intrest in a general sense.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:12 AM

I agree. The more poker becomes mainstream, the more you will hear about this.

Myself, if I know I'm going to be sitting at a poker table for more than 5 hours I make sure I go workout at the gym first if I can.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:48 AM

Too heavy to play? I'd put the average body weight of this forum around 215. I've played next to guys that should have been posting blinds for two seats. The only way I can see being 'too heavy to play' is if you lean on the table and chips slide towards you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ...come to think of it, that wouldn't be so bad...

Seriously, obesity is not just a poker issue. We are a sedentary society. Somebody sitting at a poker table ten hours a day isn't much different from the poor schmuck in an office down the street...

NT
Old 10-12-2004, 02:59 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I think it is none of our buisness to discuss obesity level of pro poker players.

respect privacy!

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i was just trying to back him up.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:44 PM

A minor nit I have to pick is when a super heavy player sits next to you and you find your sitting area uncomfortably crammed. Maybe all poker tables are standard size but in the few live games I have played I have had to sit crammed in like I was in a Japanese hotel room. Maybe they can make these poker tables bigger and have bigger more comfortable chairs..... or maybe like they have started doing in airlines charge heavy players for two seats... except how would you make it work? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2004, 02:16 PM

lol, you may be right ! Notice that Moneymaker won the main event when he had double chins, he comes back in 2004 looking much fitter and get's knocked out the first day.

But I admit I did a double take seeing Howard on his most recent TV appearance. He ballooned this summer. I don't care what he looked like in Aruba, a month ago he was huge. His string of bad luck has him hitting the buffet or the bar. It has to be KILLING him that his little sister, who he taught, is showing up on Letterman and riding a publicity wave, not to mention topping his yearly winnings in one lucky day at the invite event.