Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Perspective

These figs might be slightly off, but I think they're about in the right ballpark based on your posts.

Days 1-10: +$18500
Days 11-20: +$8500
Days 21-30: +$12000
Days 31-40: -$3000

I think the most valuable lesson for observers of a "challenge" like this is understanding how big the swings in this game really can be, especially when playing with a style as aggressive as yours. It also gives an idea of how long it really takes to reach an accurate measure of one's expected earn-rate. I'm sure many people made false assumptions based on the first ten days of the challenge. They probably would have made just as many false assumptions had you decided to start this challenge one month later, on day 31.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Perspective

[ QUOTE ]
They probably would have made just as many false assumptions had you decided to start this challenge one month later, on day 31.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonores-

What do you think would have happened to the rest of your quest had you started your challenge on Day 31 and then in the first ten days been down $3,000 and facing a huge uphill battle?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:39 PM

El Diablo,

You talk about the nature of these swings quite a bit, and I get the impression you feel many players miss the point almost completely about the ups and downs of this game.

When it comes to coping with the swings, is there something people ought to be doing when they run bad, or are folks who handle them well born rather than made?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:34 PM

The forces of evil would have had to work a lot harder than that to push me 13k off pace in the first 10 days. In Days 31-40, I think I took like 2 days off, spent another two days playing 300 hands on average playing live at Canterbury. I don't think I could be proud of the other 6 days in that ten day stretch either, in terms of hands played.

That being said, it still could have obviously happened...even if I played 25000 hands over that first stretch. If that did in fact happen, I'd like to think I'd have the fortitude to continue playing at 10/20 or, at the worst, drop back to 5/10. But I can say that all I want...doesn't mean that it would come true.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: 60k in 60 Days: Season 2 - Day 39, 40, and 41 (MN trip)

Anyone want to fill me in on the results of the 7 day hand challenge? I reolize gonores had to bow out, but how many did you get in fsuplayer?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:10 PM

I would recommend getting a haircut. I had an awesome 10 day winning strech, which started the day after I went to supercuts($13, definitly +EV) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Its loads easier to play without a big mop on your head [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Just a thought [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. GL on the challenge!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:27 PM

RandR-

Although Doug informed me on thur.(?) that the challenge was in fact over, I tried to play like it was still on, but that in itself was a challenge.

With lighter days on fri and sat. I totaled 12,549 hands. which at a multiplier of 1.6 would have forced dougiefish to get in almost 20,000 hands.

It was a lot of hands and I have more respect for schneider and doug for working through these challenges.

It sure made it easier to play considering I ran fairly well at just over 4BB/100, so I couldnt be happier with my week as a "poker pro".

the added rake-back was awesome as well.

I dont know if everyone saw it on the last journal post, but I told doug that he doesnt have to buy me a round of golf, and that i will buy him one for all the help he's been in the last couple of months.

He would have absolutely none of that and insisted on paying for my round, which is TBD still. he will get some pretty bad free NL lessons though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

fsuplayer
Old 10-11-2004, 08:31 PM

I must say...

The pink shirt will be embedded upon everyone's mind that saw it Saturday night....it was scary!
Old 10-11-2004, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must say...

The pink shirt will be embedded upon everyone's mind that saw it Saturday night....it was scary!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding?!?! That shirt was hott, I gotta get myself one like that. I'm surprised Doug was even able to play, he probably had the girlfriends of all the losers who bring their girlfriends with them to Canterbury all over him.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:18 PM

Hi Gonores,

I love reading your journals and I want to say that your win/losses give me a much better idea of how great the swings are online. It's something that I have seriously undermined.

Looking forward to your next one as usual...