Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Miller\'s weak SBlind, BBlind hands requirements

I've always thought that a major leak in anyone's game was to call too much from the SB and BB. I've read the chapter on pre-flop requirements in Miller's SSH, and it says, if there's been no raise, and you're in the SB, call hands that can be called from late position. It also mentions calling 2 bets (half price for the BB) in the BB with some (weak) hands.

Maybe this is something a more experienced person should try? SB and BB are the worst positions inthe game post-flop. Are they granted some looseness because they pay less to see the flop, and they are "last to act" pre-flop?

Opinions?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Miller\'s weak SBlind, BBlind hands requirements

[ QUOTE ]
It also mentions calling 2 bets (half price for the BB) in the BB with some (weak) hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you clarify your statement here? Did you mean call 2 bets in the SB with some weak hands?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:48 PM

Buy the theroy of poker. Might open ur eyes.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought that a major leak in anyone's game was to call too much from the SB and BB. I've read the chapter on pre-flop requirements in Miller's SSH, and it says, if there's been no raise, and you're in the SB, call hands that can be called from late position. It also mentions calling 2 bets (half price for the BB) in the BB with some (weak) hands.

Maybe this is something a more experienced person should try? SB and BB are the worst positions inthe game post-flop. Are they granted some looseness because they pay less to see the flop, and they are "last to act" pre-flop?

Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's talking about hands that either flop big made hands or draws or are easy to get away from. You'll notice that he says to dump the unsuited broadways. This is because they'll too often make you 2nd best hand even when you hit.

A hand like A4s in the BB facing a raise that's been cold-called a time or two before it gets to you can make you big bucks if you flop a flush draw (or a made flush). It's worth it to pay that one extra bet for the chance at a big pot.

However, you're right that you have to be aware of how your play needs to change in this situation. In the above example, if you flop AJ6r, you know you need to get away from it, since you're likely dominated.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:13 PM

You haven't been mislead. Playing too loosely from the blinds is a major leak, and one that you should exploit to the fullest of your ability. The reason you can play more hands on the button is because you are last to act, and have the advantage of position, therefore SAVING bets, rather than winning them (or losing them).
Old 10-11-2004, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You haven't been mislead. Playing too loosely from the blinds is a major leak, and one that you should exploit to the fullest of your ability. The reason you can play more hands on the button is because you are last to act, and have the advantage of position, therefore SAVING bets, rather than winning them (or losing them).

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read SSHE?

Miller lets you play a lot of hands from the blinds that do well in multi-way pots due to the much higher frequency of limping and loose calls in typical small stakes games. If you are able to accurately assess the value of these hands, release them when they are dominated and stick with them when you flop a good draw, you will win money. It's that simple. If the OP doesn't understand this concept (which is explained clearly by Miller and others) he needs to do some background reading before he'll get SSHE.

NT
Old 10-11-2004, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the above example, if you flop AJ6r, you know you need to get away from it, since you're likely dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's way too strong... You need to be able to get away from it, if shown significant resistance, because you may be dominated. Especially in the SB-no-raise situation, but even in the BB-it's-been-raised situation. Bet out and see what happens, you may very well have the best hand.

After all, if you're playing ONLY for flush value, then there's little point it playing AXs but not XXs.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After all, if you're playing ONLY for flush value, then there's little point it playing AXs but not XXs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that AXs will give you the nut flush, whereas XXs will often give you the second-best flush, resuling in a HUGE chip leak. (or should i say, hemorrage). AXs and KXs are about the only hands worth playing for the flush.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the above example, if you flop AJ6r, you know you need to get away from it, since you're likely dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's way too strong... You need to be able to get away from it, if shown significant resistance, because you may be dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, I meant to word it that way -- thanks for catching that.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that AXs will give you the nut flush, whereas XXs will often give you the second-best flush, resuling in a HUGE chip leak. (or should i say, hemorrage). AXs and KXs are about the only hands worth playing for the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chance that you'll make the 2nd nut flush with the nut flush out there on a 3-suited board is pretty slim. So slim, in fact, that I wouldn't adjust my play until my opponent caps the later streets (and frankly, without a paired board, I still don't think I'd slow down unless I can't put him on anything else). Now if it's a 4-flush board, then you can worry about the size of your card.