Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 02:12 AM

Default Ace Rag in the SB

A quick question about playing the the SB shorthanded.

How do ya'll play ace rag in the sb? For the purposes of this question, let's call a rag any card seven or below. Will you call with two or three limpers? Will defend against a CO or button raise? Do your standards change if you have ace rag suited? I feel that this is a leak in my game that needs to be fixed.

Thanks,
Sigma
Old 10-11-2004, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Ace Rag in the SB

entirely table dependant. Generally I muck Axo in the party games and call in unraised pots with Axs. I will 3bet steal by notorious stealers or fold.

other people play differently with good results, by this is how tighty mcwhitey does it
Old 10-11-2004, 05:58 AM

I will always complete with Axo, no matter how many players if its only limped before (5/10 and 10/20, 6max). Sometimes, with only 1 (preferable bad) limper and reasonable tight BB I will raise, but if BB calls you are sitting out of position with A high and its pretty tricky to play aggressively. I prefer to call, get it 3way and bet flop if I hit a pair or if its a stelflop (like K23 or K44) or if I have folded enough lately to make them think my bet is because "I have hit something".

I will normally fold if raiser isnt a known stealer.

I like Axs, I will more often 3 bet a steal and more often raise limpers. Also I will often coldcall if there is coldcalling before me and probably at least 4way with (loose) BB.

Against a large field I dont think there is a big difference between A7 and A2. 7 is better but 2 can make straight. Against a small field of course 7 is better because u will often win with a medium pair.

I think BB is also tricky with Axo. I will normally fold against an early raiser and complete against a late raiser. Its very hard to make a decision about how to play Axo from BB if A flops. Against 1 or 2 I normally play it rather passively (if there is no obvious draws on flop) and call it down (not always but more often then my normal style), against a larger field I feel I have to get people out and try a raise to see what happens (prepared to fold if to many is interested in making me pay to see turn).
Old 10-11-2004, 01:24 PM

I usually muck Ace-Rag in the SB, unless its suited or A,2 or A,3 with a ton of limper so that im gtting good odds for my call.