Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Partypoker tells - Automatic pot bet button

Anyone derive a reliable tell from characters who use the auto pot-bet (typically seen in late position on smaller pots on the flop/turn)? Personally I've found it smells of top pair middle kicker type hands when the rest of the field is passive/checking around.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Partypoker tells - Automatic pot bet button

I don't have anything reliable, but I do try to note if someone has clicked the call button ahead of time preflop, or if they have clicked the check or check/fold button post flop. If I am in late position with only a few players, and it is checked to me ultra fast, I'm more likely to bluff at a pot.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:14 PM

This is exactly why I never select anything until it's my turn. I don't waste time, but there will always be a second pause before someone sees me act. Obviously every person is different, but I've found that at low limits, on a small pot, the automatic "bet pot" button more often than not indicates weakness, and I feel more comfortable staying in the hand or pushing back.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:43 PM

I use the buttons whenever I can & think it helps. For example, if I really want to fold then great. However, when slow playing a monster it appears to be the same as every other check I have made. My reasoning is I think it makes it harder to read if all my plays (bluff to monster) take a similar amount of time. Any commments?
Old 10-08-2004, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I am in late position with only a few players, and it is checked to me ultra fast, I'm more likely to bluff at a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh heh. That is why I use the check/fold button only when I know (because of aggressiveness on the table) that there is no way it will get checked around anyway. And, if I have used it (and therefore done an insta-check followed by a fold, or an insta-fold to a raise that came from my immediate right), I use the insta-check button when I have a monster that I plan to slow-play. I almost always get someone to bet into me when I do this.

P.S. Then I think a little bit too long, and make a huge overbet in the hopes that it looks like a resteal. I've only had this work once, but it was very satisfying. Caller had AK overcards to my flopped top set.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have anything reliable, but I do try to note if someone has clicked the call button ahead of time preflop, or if they have clicked the check or check/fold button post flop. If I am in late position with only a few players, and it is checked to me ultra fast, I'm more likely to bluff at a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the precise reason that I click on the auto-check button when I have a strong hand and 2 or more people are following me. This works much more than even I would expect it to at Party's $50NL and PL tables.

I have seen that after taking down a pot or two with this play, I can do it when in similar position and on decent draws (for example: holding 10-10 when Q98 hits the flop) and the people behind me are less likely to try and bluff the pot with middle pairs. Yes, this specific play does allow others to stay in the hand, but any bets would typically push me out of the hand if I am in cheap to that point.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:46 AM

I multi-table a lot so I always use the buttons, doesn't matter if I have a strong / weak hand.

If I'm on the button with a weak table, I auto-bet pot if it's checked around on the flop.