Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 06:53 AM

Default KJs vs. raise 5 way, live 10/20

10/20 Live (10 players)
Preflop:
EP open raises (loose, semi-agg.) Fold to my immediate right. LP calls. I hold K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I call. Button folds. SB calls. BB 3bets (idiot, semi-maniac). Calls around.
Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players, 7.1bb (remember the rake))
Blinds check. EP bets. LP calls. I raise. Both blinds fold. Call. Call.
Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players, 10.1bb)
Check, check, I bet. EP calls. LP folds.
River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (heads-up, 12.1bb)
EP checks, I check.

How'd I do?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: KJs vs. raise 5 way, live 10/20

I think your play was good, I would of made another value bet on the river though. There are a ton of inferior hands that he might call with.

-Vandal
Old 10-08-2004, 11:24 AM

Bet the river.

EP would 3bet you on the flop or raise the turn with AJ or a higher PP. The only hand he might have is AQ but he most likely would have bet out with it on the river. Bet the river and if he calls I expect him to show 1010-77.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:58 AM

He'd have to be a pretty loose raiser for me to coldcall with KJs. Your read was "loose, simi-aggro," and I'm not sure that fits the bill. You know the player and I don't, so you're in a better position to judge than me, but just make sure you're not fooling yourself. Most loose players don't raise enough pf, they tend to limp. So just because you see him limp UTG w/ J8s doesn't mean you should be calling his EP riase w/ KJs, savy?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:08 PM

I'm not crazy about the pre-flop call ... but let's assume your read at the time is better than mine in front of my computer. This is a fold for me against most players (at least around these parts).

I'd say value bet the river as well.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 10-08-2004, 02:00 PM

Default about the preflop call

its fine to call cold with KJs when you are assured of multiway action with opps who take their hands too far. I think SSHE said this. In the last game Cleveland Kevin posted he described a situation where UTG+1 raised and got 5 cold callers plus a blind. This sort of game is seems absolutely fine to play KJS for 2 bets.

Also, just as limping in early position induces more limping, in these super loose games, cold calling has the same effect. Many players in LP are playing any suited at this point and a lot of the supposed *decent* players are gonna cold call 810s, J9s, J10o etc.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:40 AM

Default Results

I admit that the cold call pre-flop was a bit loose. I'd like more cold-callers ahead of me with this hand. But I figured my call would bring in the blinds (and BB was playing everything). And I didn't have much respect for the raiser.
Unfortunately, EP won the pot with AJ. I also thought he'd play the flop stronger than this w/ AJ.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:02 AM

fold pre-flop
Old 10-11-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: about the preflop call

"its fine to call cold with KJs when you are assured of multiway action with opps who take their hands too far. I think SSHE said this. In the last game Cleveland Kevin posted he described a situation where UTG+1 raised and got 5 cold callers plus a blind. This sort of game is seems absolutely fine to play KJS for 2 bets."

In general it is ok in these games, but you are in the cutoff with only 1 coldcaller, now the game conditions don't exhist for this to be a good call. I think folding here is the way to go, at best you get a 6 way pot, but most likely you end up with a 4 way, and i don' want to pay 2 bets with KJs in a 4 way pot (unless i am doing the raising)
Old 10-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Results

hi cleve

i've looked at this one again, and pre-flop the call isn't that bad. i was a little tired when i threaded this one, and thought that the pre-flop cold-caller was a little more solid than appears as i'm reading your post again. this is still a problem hand when the BB might raise or reraise, so a lot depends on what you think your chances are that your call closes. it's usually beter to fold it though and stay out of these type situations unless your dominating the table and don't have a bankroll issue.