Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Making the blinds as \"profitable\" as possible

I think one of the biggest obstacles stopping me from becoming a winning player is blind play. Pokertracker tells me that after 22K Party 1/2 hands all my non-blind positions are profitable (averaging out to .05 BB/hand). As of today, my blind stats are -.23 BB/hand for the big blind and -.17 BB/hand for the small blind.

I don't expect to even come close to breaking even in the blinds, but I feel like these numbers can be drastically improved. I'm not sure what the ideal BB/hand average is for the blinds....the only stats I have to reference are Astroglide's old 3/6 numbers, where he was -.17 (BB) and -.08 (SB) after 100K hands.

So I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some general info on improving blind play. I'm not expecting to find a detailed strategy guide anywhere, but if anyone knows of some decent posts or book chapters that discuss blind play I'd appreciate it.

Also.....does anyone recommend playing some 6 max tables for these purposes, or is that a different ballgame altogether?

Any comments are much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Making the blinds as \"profitable\" as possible

22K hands is less than 5K hands from the blinds. Definitely small sample. However, if you post what you complete out the SB, call raises out the SB/BB, and raise out the SB/BB, I'm sure we can help you with that.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Making the blinds as \"profitable\" as possible

Hey Gatts. I use SSH starting hand recommendations (tight) as a reference. Right now my VPIPSB is 31.84 and VPIPBB is 14.78 (overall VPIP is 18.34).

When there are a few limpers, I usually feel like my raise/call/fold decision is straightforward and I'm at ease, but when it gets shorthanded I always wonder how much I should be loosening up in order to protect my blind. Example: with a raise from EP and a few cold-callers, I'll gladly fold ATo. But what if it's an openraise from the button....how much do I loosen up? Example: I never call Ace-rag in the SB, but if it's folded to me, how low do I go?

It's situations like these that I'm not comfortable with yet.