Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 PM

Default Re: No maximum Buy-in NL games

Hi fsuplayer,

I knew there was one pokersite where it was possible to play deep stack poker but I didnt know which one it was.

So thank you for that!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 PM

What about money laudring?Sounds like could be easly made on that site, do they require extensive documentation to play there?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:05 PM

There is no advantage to having a big stack in a NL ring game. There are people who think there's an advantage and might feel bullied by a big stack, but that's purely psychological. Big stacks are only an advantage in tourneys.

AncientPC makes an example that big stacks might make bigger bets that force you to play for your stack. This is the case for aggressive players, regardless of stack size. If a player raises you $50 and you've got a stack of $100, you're committing yourself to the pot with a call regardless if the villian has $100 like you or $1,000,000.

Big stacks have no advantage at ring games, period.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 PM

That's not always true. I can get a $7 stack to call a $3 raise much easier than getting a $21 stack to call a $9 raise.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 AM

"There is no advantage to having a big stack in a NL ring game."

Yikes!

And if not, there are certainly disadvantages for not buying in for the max.

Say you have $10 in the 50 NL game, you are dealt AA, and two guys go in in front of you for $50 each.

Have fun with your $10 stack. I would always prefer to have the largest stack at the table, assuming I believe I'm a favorite in the game, which I usually do or I don't sit down.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:44 AM

Your stack reaches an optimal size (assuming you are better than everyone else) if and only if:

You cover everyone on the table.

Having 1000000000000000 times more will not help you one bit, unless they are into "bush league psych-out stuff." Having less will hurt you proportionally to how short you are from covering them. Everyone should be able to figure out why.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not always true. I can get a $7 stack to call a $3 raise much easier than getting a $21 stack to call a $9 raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What are the blinds in this scenario? Are you talking preflop?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big stacks have no advantage at ring games, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

A single big stack doesn't particularly have an advantage over a single small stack, no.

The main reason to play a big stack is to do so at a table where others are just as deep. NL with 200-250BB is a very different game than NL with 50BB stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's just a semantics issue. I say "big stack" to mean a stack larger than the other players. I say "deep stack" to mean a large stack relative to the blinds.
A deep stack game is definitely different than an short stack game like Party. But if all your opponents have equally big stacks, then nobody has a big stack.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Do you guys know any online pokerrooms where we can play No maximum buy-in NL Texas-Holdem games? I would prefer blinds of 1$/2$ and below.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

TGC Poker has a table for $100/$200 blinds, 2,000/20,000 min/max buy-ins.

AFAIK all online NL tables have a max buy-in. Otherwise it'd give an advantage to the player with the biggest bankroll (although at the same time playing with your entire bankroll is stupid).

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats TGC Poker? Is that a website? Did an internet search and only found something about "itv" out of the UK. I had always been under the impression that the UB game was the largest, not sure if you were joking or not.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say you have $10 in the 50 NL game, you are dealt AA, and two guys go in in front of you for $50 each.

Have fun with your $10 stack. I would always prefer to have the largest stack at the table, assuming I believe I'm a favorite in the game, which I usually do or I don't sit down.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your point? I'm writing about big stacks, not short stacks. Are you saying one shouldn't play with a short stack because you might be dealt AA? That's illogical. In fact short stacks have the all-in advantage that big stacks don't.

There is no advantage to having a stack bigger than everyone else at the table in a ring game. Once you have a stack equal to the biggest stack, the rest of your stack is not in play.

This is simple mathematics. If you think you'll have an advantage by having 2x the next biggest stack, you're wrong and you're confusing tournament theory with ring game theory.

Poker rooms do not limit buy-ins because of this mythological big-stack-advantage. They limit buyins to increase rake. Smaller stacks mean the fish go broke slower.