Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 10:23 PM

Default Fundamental Theorem of Poker

Does the "Fundamental Theorem of Poker" have a proof? Has someone developed a purely theoretical and rigorous approach to poker with the same type of rigor you'd find in mathematics?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Fundamental Theorem of Poker

my 2 cents..

No, there is no proof. But consider the situation where God comes and plays on your table. In his omniscient state, He will know everyone's hands. With this, we can assume that He will always 1) muck when behind and without odds to draw (he could also tell when there would be a raise behind him), or 2) always fold when drawing dead or without odds, or 3) put more money in the pot when he's ahead. This would enable him to ALWAYS play the most efficient and profitable poker possible.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Uhh

[ QUOTE ]
my 2 cents..

No, there is no proof. But consider the situation where God comes and plays on your table. In his omniscient state, He will know everyone's hands. With this, we can assume that He will always 1) muck when behind and without odds to draw (he could also tell when there would be a raise behind him), or 2) always fold when drawing dead or without odds, or 3) put more money in the pot when he's ahead. This would enable him to ALWAYS play the most efficient and profitable poker possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you described isn't the most efficient and profitable poker possible. You left out that God would already know what the flop, turn, and river was ahead of time. Thus, if playing him, expect to get rivered quite a bit. Example, "I raised preflop with AA, God capped it w/72 offsuit. Flop comes A75 and I bet. We both cap it. Turn and river are 2's. Aghhh!"
Old 10-06-2004, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Uhh

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my 2 cents..

[/ QUOTE ]

What you described isn't the most efficient and profitable poker possible. You left out that God would already know what the flop, turn, and river was ahead of time. Thus, if playing him, expect to get rivered quite a bit. Example, "I raised preflop with AA, God capped it w/72 offsuit. Flop comes A75 and I bet. We both cap it. Turn and river are 2's. Aghhh!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you'd spite god for your aces full beating his twos full.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:23 AM

I was thinking the same thing^

However, the Fundamental Theorum of Poker states that whenever you play the way you would when you are able to see all of you cards, then you gain. It does not mention any such thing about predicting/knowing the next cards, or community cards, to come.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my 2 cents..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, after an hour or two, God wouldn't be playing very profitable poker, because everytime he played a hand everyone else would fold. How's he going to make money this way?

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Mea culpa (NT)

Old 10-06-2004, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my 2 cents..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, after an hour or two, God wouldn't be playing very profitable poker, because everytime he played a hand everyone else would fold. How's he going to make money this way?

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many hands would it take? At what point would a good player stop thinking "This guy's making all these -EV plays, and keeps sucking out, sooner or later I'm going to have all his money I just have to wait for his streak to end."

Would he go broke waiting for the streak to end? He should, shouldn't he? Because he'll be making beaucoup Sklansky dollars while he goes broke.

Unless the halo, robes & long white beard tip him off.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:31 PM

Nah, people wouldn't catch on. How's that saying go? God moves his chips in mysterious ways?

Or does that refer to chip tricks?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Then you'd spite god for your aces full beating his twos full.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just accidentally proved that God doesn't exist. Quick! Someone call David Sklansky!

/mc