Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Borgata 1/2 JJ hand

Really live, Really deep game, three or four people at the table have at least 5 times he original 300 buy-in.

Villain is very aggressive, probably not too good, and has already re-bought once.

Two or three hands before this he opened for ten, got three callers, I make it 40 and take it down.

I pick up J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB, a few people limp and the Villain makes it 10. All fold to me and I make it thirty.

Limpers fold, he shoves in a stack without even counting it, and its 55 more to me.

I take a little time, remember that I've seen him flat call raises with big pairs twice, decide that he's trying to push me around, and push for 170 more.

He thinks for maybe three seconds, calls and flips over AQ. Queen comes on the flop and I lose.

Comments?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Borgata 1/2 JJ hand

I'm torn because I hate this post but have much respect for your Username.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 PM

hate the post why? Just want to know what you think of the line i took.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:07 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Why would you reraise with JJ against a player who you said pushes with big prs? "" I've seen him flat call raises with big pairs twice"" I thnk you just when on <font color="red"> </font>

Old 10-05-2004, 05:21 PM

People are getting really picky about bad-beat posts, and it seems like that it has really picked up fervor lately. It almost seems like you can't post a losing hand without some momo telling you that you owe them a dollar.

But having said that, it does seem like you know you played it right under the circumstances.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People are getting really picky about bad-beat posts, and it seems like that it has really picked up fervor lately. It almost seems like you can't post a losing hand without some momo telling you that you owe them a dollar.

But having said that, it does seem like you know you played it right under the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly, y take a marginal advantage against a poor player, who you know you can outplay after the flop? he has about 100BB infront of him, play for set value... maybe you hand will stay an overpair post flop? The line you took only makes you a slight favorite, or big dog vs any hands that call... a situation you know you do not want to be....

And you said he cold calls with big pocket pairs, maybe he's mixing up his play? Again, if he is as bad as you say he is, y take a small edge vs a poor player?
Old 10-05-2004, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People should just leave out the results, then it wouldn't be a bad beat post.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:42 PM

Just call out of the BB, see what the flop brings before you dump a bunch of money in the pot. You DO have to act before the field on the flop. If overs flop, you can get away if the heat comes down.

Learn for the next time, getting the money in PF with JJ over time will bust your @$$ quick.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it does seem like you know you played it right under the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? I beg to differ. I thought the line was terrible.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Learn for the next time, getting the money in PF with JJ over time will bust your @$$ quick.

[/ QUOTE ]
What you said would be true if your opponents could potentially hold AA-QQ here; playing JJ like this would bust you. But, mathematically, if you could be certain your opponent never had AA-QQ, then being all-in over and over with JJ pre-flop would, necessarily, be +EV (JJ has 62% equity against JJ-99, AKs-ATs, KQs, AKo-AQo).

But poster said he had a read that opponent would call with big pairs to trap, not re-raise. Thus, it would seem the question is how reliable is this "read". Personally, I know I could never be certain of a read like this. I'm very cautious about this kind of read, because I think human nature is such that we tend to put people on a hand that is good for us. (As an example: See all those people who call all-ins with 44, because they "know" the better is on big ace. It's not a read, it's wishful thinking.)