Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Ax suited question

I have a pretty general question here. Does anyone here play Ax suited in any position within say the first 3 levels of blinds in a SNG? If no one has raised, should you limp in?
The only reason I ask is because it seems that Party players are becoming far more tight than they were just a few months ago. There used to be at least 2-3 maniacs in every tourney that would be out by the time the blinds reach t50. Now I am finding myself playing against 8 players at the t100 level.

P.S. On a side note, has anyone played in Party's speed tourney? They are the stupidest things I've ever seen. Blinds go up every 3 minutes. It takes 3 minutes to play 2 hands!!! I played in one for the first and last time last night. 1500 entries and 700 were out in the first 30 minutes. Anyone who plays those is insane, because if you don't double up every 10-20 minutes, you will blind out.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Ax suited question

I would limp in the first three levels with Axs if there were already limpers in the pot. The first level I would limp in late position and other limpers with 53s or 98o.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:51 PM

I would refrain limping with Ax suited in EP with a garbage kicker. But normally, yes, I would limp and try and see a flop.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:53 PM

In the first level I will limp Ax suited anywhere as long as there are no raises in front of me. By the second and third levels I can usually tell how passive the table is preflop and will decide to limp A2s - A9s based on how likely I think someone will raise behind. Of course there are exceptions, but this is a general response to your general question.

Edit: A key decision on playing Ax suited anywhere is avoiding post-flop trouble if you do not have the flush draw or at least two pair. Proceed with caution on an A-high rainbow flop if you limped something like A4s. Typically I would check-fold that kind of flop if out of position, and bet the turn if the flop was checked around.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:03 PM

I generally wouldn't limp with Axs suited from early position unless x is pretty good. I usually would with a suited connector, since I don't mind playing it is a multiway raised pot.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:51 PM

TJ Coutier says AJ, suited or not, is cheese in a tourney with a full table, and AQ is not much better.

Lots of people agree.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:38 PM

In a large tourney in the latter stages I would agree. However, in a single table or the very early stages of a MT, suited aces have a higher implied value. The reason for this is the potentially large pot with virtually nothing invested.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:46 PM

There are differing philosophies. A lot depends on format.

Early in a MTT when the money is very deep (e.g WSOP 10,000 chips), you can afford to play your normal cash game, which for me includes Axs in back.

In a Poker Stars turbo, where the blinds rise every 5 minutes, I usually don't play anything lower than AQs until the blinds are worth stealing.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TJ Coutier says AJ, suited or not, is cheese in a tourney with a full table, and AQ is not much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

TJ Cloutier doesn't play $10 SnGs.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:36 PM

I generally won't limp a small suited ace either. But as I mentioned in my previous post, if I have no fear of getting raised behind because it's a really passive table, I find that it's worth gambling a small amount of chips because of the implied odds if I hit. Level 1 especially, but even level 2 or 3 is OK if the conditions are right and my stack is big enough.