Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 02:15 AM

Default All in with QQ - Comments please

I have been playing very tight from the start, taking down a couple of uncontested pots from making normal raises and just keeping above the bubble, I catch a pair of queen, a weaker (had shown down subpar hands all tourny, played too many pots, out of position, etc) player infront of me makes a normal raise I go all in.

My question is was this appropriate for this level, # of players left, stack size, etc?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t2475)
SB (t2190)
BB (t2925)
UTG (t1745)
<font color="C00000">MP1 (t1060)</font>
<font color="C00000">AnteGravity (t1823)</font>
CO (t1282)

Preflop: AnteGravity is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="CC3333">AnteGravity raises to t1823</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls t760 (All-In).

Flop: (t3033) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t3033) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3033) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3033
<font color="green">Main Pot: t2270 (t2270), between MP1 and AnteGravity.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP1 (t2270).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t763 (t763), returned to AnteGravity.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 has Ah Js (one pair, aces).
AnteGravity has Qs Qc (one pair, queens).
Outcome: MP1 wins t2270. AnteGravity wins t763. </font>
Old 10-05-2004, 02:41 AM

Default Re: All in with QQ - Comments please

Just fine - only three starting hands is poker are bad for you and one (AK) is a coin-flip. Nice push.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:19 PM

You push without hesitation--make loose players pay for raising with inferior hands. Based on your read you are way head 85% of the time, a coin flip 10%, and behind 5% (just my rough estimation typical lose players raising standards).

You are over a 71% favorite against most of his likely hands (A-Q or less or K-Q or less), and huge favorite if he's holding a lower pair.

You got all of your money in when you were a huge favorite and lost, oh well. If you had one, you'd be in a much better position to finish ITM.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:35 PM

I think your raise is to big for this situation. If you double MP1s raise to 600 he is basically all in, and you might get some action from others around the table with worse hands, and it gives you a slgith cahnce to get away from it is someone like the Button wakes up AA and comes over the top all in. MP1 is still going to have to make an all in or fold decision no matter how much you raise here.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your raise is to big for this situation. If you double MP1s raise to 600 he is basically all in, and you might get some action from others around the table with worse hands, and it gives you a slgith cahnce to get away from it is someone like the Button wakes up AA and comes over the top all in. MP1 is still going to have to make an all in or fold decision no matter how much you raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're never going to do well in SNG's if you're worried about AA past the first or second level.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:58 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

so AA is only a threat in the first or second level? yeah, i can buy that.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so AA is only a threat in the first or second level? yeah, i can buy that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what I said. My point is that you reach a level in SNG's with blinds and stack sizes that you cannot be worried about someone holding AA. You're suppose to worry about someone having AA who has yet to act, but not the original raiser?

That's playing scared to me.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:26 PM

The thing is you get the same benefit from raising to 600 as you do from raising all in as far as getting people to fold. You just have more option thoose few times that the big stack does wake up with a good hand. You can make the read yourself later, but leave your options open.

On that note I guess I will never do well at SNGs.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is you get the same benefit from raising to 600 as you do from raising all in as far as getting people to fold. You just have more option thoose few times that the big stack does wake up with a good hand. You can make the read yourself later, but leave your options open.

On that note I guess I will never do well at SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd raise to 600 (1/3 of your stack) and then fold QQ if someone comes over the top of you?

No way I'm doing that with this many players left to act. What if you get a caller from one of the two large stacks in the blinds? Then, the original raiser goes all-in. Now, are you going to go all-in? The pots so large now that you may end up against two opponents, one of which certainly has overcards.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:17 PM

I would think raising to 600 and pushing would generate different actions most of the time here.