Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Newbie Bankroll/Results Questions?

I began w/ a bankroll of $25 in mid-august and it is now around $200 after a few cash outs.

I play $5 + .50 SNG’s and have “somewhat” been keeping track of my results. The SNG’s pay 1st $25 2nd $15 & 3rd $10. I make anywhere from $1.30 to $1.75 per SNG. Is this above/bellow avg.?

I like my game but feel I may be a rock. (Which mite be good thing @ these limits) I would like to step up to $10+1 SNG but wonder what I have to build my bankroll to in order to safely play @ these higher limits.

Thanks,
elyk
Old 10-05-2004, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Newbie Bankroll/Results Questions?

From previous posts by others and my own experience, the consensus seems to be that 15 buyins (@$11=$165) is risky, 25 buyins (@$11=275) is marginal to acceptable, 35 buyins (@$11=$385) is considered relatively safe from the swings associated with variance. You have too small a sample for the standard deviation/bankroll/risk of ruin calculations to have validity. You should however search this forum for risk of ruin calculations and take a look at them. Also see AleoMagus' spreadsheet for SNGs which does these calculations.

Sounds like you are doing fine.

Doc
Old 10-05-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Newbie Bankroll/Results Questions?

i started playing $10+1 at $200. but i said to myself if i dip below $200 i will go back to $5+.50 until I get above $200 again. luckily i made money in my first $10 sng and never looked back from there. my bankroll started rising much faster (double i guess, there really is no skill difference between 5 and 10). now i'm at $500. i've started dabbling in the $20+2 games. i find these are a different skill level. out of 7 $20+2 I have 2 2nd place finishes, 3 4ths, and 2 6ths. needless to say i'm not very happy as that's a net loss of $90. whenever i dipped below $500 i went back to $10 and worked my way up. i'm going to keep taking stabs at $20 until i become successful. i think that's the best way to do it.