Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 03:43 PM

Default TT against MP raise

Only reads I had were that it was the usual 1/2 rock garden:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, BB calls.

River: (16.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.25 BB, between UTG and MP2.</font>
Old 10-04-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: TT against MP raise

I don't understand your play at all on this hand. You only call preflop instead of 3-betting, then you fold on one of the most favorable flops you could get.

I would 3-bet this preflop. TT is a great hand. Cold-calling leaves you in poor relative position.

I would then 3-bet the flop. You have an overpair. Why would you fold it?

Turn and River - Well you folded...so....
Old 10-04-2004, 05:44 PM

Hey Piiop,

I think cold calling the flop and raising a turn blank is also a viable option. This is similar to the two overpair hands section in SSH, though I'm not sure if the preflop aggression from MP2 changes anything. edit: Though if I did call the flop and UTG 3bet I'm not sure I'd raise the turn.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think cold calling the flop and raising a turn blank is also a viable option. This is similar to the two overpair hands section in SSH, though I'm not sure if the preflop aggression from MP2 changes anything. edit: Though if I did call the flop and UTG 3bet I'm not sure I'd raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did consider that option, however I think that there's a big difference between this hand and the SSH hand because the hero cold-called a raise PF. Then a limper bet and the original preflop raiser raised.

I think the cold-calling preflop makes a big difference here much more difficult to play. Now instead of raising the turn with the best hand to force out players, we may me raising with a hand that has 2 outs. It's impossible to solidly put the PFR on a hand, and we can't use any info to our advantage.

But you are right, if the hero was the PFR, it would be just like the SSH hand and waiting until the turn would be right.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:05 PM

Yeah you make a good point. Unfortunatly hero didn't reraise preflop. I'm thinking that 3betting the flop might be the best option as well now.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:06 PM

I prefer 3-betting preflop. Make the folks behind you call many, many bets cold.

I don't see how you can fold on the flop with the overpair, even with the raise right before you. If you were going to play only for a set, you shouldn't have called on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, Hero calls, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heehee...I'm not sure I'd call this a "rock garden".

PP
Old 10-04-2004, 06:17 PM

Preflop, cap the pot. Pocket Tens are a strong starting hand.

When the pot is big look for reasons to stay in it... when the pot is small look for routes of escape...

At the flop, by the time the action reaches you, you are getting 8.25 to 1 odds. You have top pair, AND you have a backdoor two gap straight. I am not dropping this hand too quickly. In fact, I am capping the flop if I felt I could drive out the rest of the players who are simply hanging on (MP1, BB), that way I can protect my top pair.

If you had stayed to the turn, that turn card would be a godsend. You would be sat with Top pair, and a double gutshot draw (either a Jack or a 7 will give you the straight). And with 16.25 to 1 odds offered on you improving to a 4 to 1 straight, I would infact raise the UTG and jam the pot. You are vunerable to a possible flush hitting at the same time as your straight, but the pot size is large enough for you to be able to brush off that statistic profitably in the long run.

I don't want to sound down on you, but I think you played this hand much too weakly throughout.